• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    North West Indiana
    Here is my correspondence with Ruger customer service:

Dear ryan ,

Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.
    This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 05/31/2011
    Request No: 97310
    Comment / question:
    I have an LCR with 200rds through it so far. I noticed that it has several little round "nicks" on the bolt face in the area where the spur(?) on the cylinder contacts the bolt face when opening/closing the cylinder. I cannot tell if it is caused from firing the weapon or if it is from opening and closing the cylinder. I have seen several used LCR's that do not have these marks. They are through the finish and into the shiny aluminum. What may be causing this and is it still safe to use?
    Response:
    That typically happens from opening and closing the cylinder.
    We would be happy to examine your revolver if you would like.
    If you need further information, please visit our website at xxx or contact us at:
    Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
    Pistols: (928) 778-6555
    Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424
    Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.
    Sincerely,
    Ruger Firearms

With that said, would any of you think about having them check it out? As I said in the letter, I personally havent seen this type of damage on this particular model before. And I dont slam cylinders shut either.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Can you post a picture of what you're talking about? I think you're talking about the recoil shield where it is contacted by the spring loaded plunger that locks the back of the cylander into the recoil shield. If that is the case then it is normal on revolvers. Ruger may have an extra strong spring in there (perhaps too heavy?) causing excessive wear. We all define "excessive" differently, so pictures would help. Your LCR may not be fitted well.

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    My LCR has two "nicks" in the black finish also. On mine it appears it is the smaller of the two "star shaped pieces":rolleyes: on the extractor hitting the frame when not exactly alighned when closing the cylinder. There are two slight grooves machined into the frame and the nick on the top one is along the bottom edge of the groove. The lower and larger groove has a nick directly in the center at the inward most point of the groove.

Please excuse all the technical mumbo jumbo.:D

Not being a revolver expert, does the fact the LCR will close and latch the cylinder WITHOUT a round alighned with the barrel just a "revolver thing"? I do make sure the cylinder is totally lined up by turning it by hand before firing.:dunno:

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy
    Not being a revolver expert, does the fact the LCR will close and latch the cylinder WITHOUT a round alighned with the barrel just a "revolver thing"? I do make sure the cylinder is totally lined up by turning it by hand before firing.:dunno:

It's a normal "revolver thing". ;)

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    It's a normal "revolver thing". ;)

I think it's more like an "aluminum frame revolver thing". I don't see it as a problem though.
    I just traded off an LCR this week that had the same issue. Have a high standard sentinel with the same gouges. My 3 steel framed revolvers are all well used and the area is lightly scratched or buffed shiny on them but nothing like the gouges on the aluminum frames.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I think it's more like an "aluminum frame revolver thing". I don't see it as a problem though.
    I just traded off an LCR this week that had the same issue. Have a high standard sentinel with the same gouges. My 3 steel framed revolvers are all well used and the area is lightly scratched or buffed shiny on them but nothing like the gouges on the aluminum frames.

The marks on my LCR can't be considered gouges, just slight nicks in the black finish. Might/could get worse with usage I suppose especially since it is aluminum.

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    The marks on my LCR can't be considered gouges, just slight nicks in the black finish. Might/could get worse with usage I suppose especially since it is aluminum.

Yeah nicks might describe it better than scratches. Side by side with a steel frame, they look worse than they actually are.

zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have been looking to purchase on of these firearms; this will be my first ruger. Nice to know that customer service has been willing to assist with issues. What has been the overall expirience with this firearm... shooting, reliability, etc?

sgt.porter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Deleware County
    I have been looking to purchase on of these firearms; this will be my first ruger. Nice to know that customer service has been willing to assist with issues. What has been the overall expirience with this firearm... shooting, reliability, etc?

Personally, I think the gun is too light. It gives more kick than you'd expect. The trigger is a lot lighter than I like on a DA revolver as well. That's why I traded mine off.
    If you like the lightness, it's pretty darn accurate out to 25 yds or so and conceals well in the small of your back, on your ankle, or in your pocket.

FCSD 23-18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Rugers CS has been really good to me, if it worries you have it looked at. It is free minus the shipping and handling which is a good price for a piece of mind.

gdkaiser

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Michiana-South Bend
    I bought mine expressly because it is light, but I have only put 30 rounds through it 110+p golden bullets are not too bad 125 + winchester jhp have some more but believe it or not the 5 158 hbwc target loads had more percieved recoil than the hot rounds (prob due the bullet weight and being hollow base wad cutters) cleaned the lead with a cylinder of 110 hydroshoks overall its a very accurate gun but its short sight picture makes you work at it and being da only the staging makes it easier to target shoot but rapid fire is fine just remember put a few through it so you know the recoil then clean it and carry it Aluminum is not a target gun but a defensive weapon. will keep mine its weight is perfect for concealed carry... just my 2 cents....

Top Bottom