• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Just purchased a Ruger LCR yesterday and have yet to shoot it. I have considered selling it since I got it for a great price brand new in the box, but I like the thought of having a lot of fire power for concealed carry. Any opinions on if this is a good carry weapon? Also what are good rounds for personal defense? It is the .357 Magnum and I don't know if I should carry with the .357 rounds, or .38 specials, or the .38+ rounds? I am completely ignorant when it comes to revolvers, I have always been a pistol kind of guy!!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I owned (note the tense), which was original bought for my wife. Nice revolver, decent trigger, but that trigger comes at a price, a weak return spring. I didn't trust mine enough to keep it when it came back from the factory. YMMV

For ammo, one of the best rounds for self-defense is the 125gr sjhp. Remington makes a good one. As to the 38 spc, Federal makes a 125 gr Nyclad that is excellent. For 38+p look to Speer 140gr short barrel. Also, the classic Remington lead swchp in 158gr, standard or +p is proven. In my M&P340, I carry 125gr sjhp in 357.

You should carry the round that you are best able to put good hits on target with. This will probably not be the 357, at least at first, and the first time you put one down the barrel, you world will be rocked. It takes a lot of time and practice to get proficient with any small revolver, double that when shooting mag loads through them. It's a mixed bag of opinions on whether or not to carry mag rounds in a short barrel. Some say it doesn't improve enough over 38 to warrant the recoil and blast. I personally say that any round out of a short barrel needs any extra it can get, and the 357 will outperform 38 in short barrel or no barrel. However, for one "new to the scene," I would recommend starting off with standard 38 target loads, a grabbing some self-defense rounds in 38 or +p. Once your learn the revolver, then you can move to some 357 rounds and go from there.:twocents:

OK, really, if I were you I would just sell it and get an M&P340:D

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I owned (note the tense), which was original bought for my wife. Nice revolver, decent trigger, but that trigger comes at a price, a weak return spring. I didn't trust mine enough to keep it when it came back from the factory. YMMV

For ammo, one of the best rounds for self-defense is the 125gr sjhp. Remington makes a good one. As to the 38 spc, Federal makes a 125 gr Nyclad that is excellent. For 38+p look to Speer 140gr short barrel. Also, the classic Remington lead swchp in 158gr, standard or +p is proven. In my M&P340, I carry 125gr sjhp in 357.

You should carry the round that you are best able to put good hits on target with. This will probably not be the 357, at least at first, and the first time you put one down the barrel, you world will be rocked. It takes a lot of time and practice to get proficient with any small revolver, double that when shooting mag loads through them. It's a mixed bag of opinions on whether or not to carry mag rounds in a short barrel. Some say it doesn't improve enough over 38 to warrant the recoil and blast. I personally say that any round out of a short barrel needs any extra it can get, and the 357 will outperform 38 in short barrel or no barrel. However, for one "new to the scene," I would recommend starting off with standard 38 target loads, a grabbing some self-defense rounds in 38 or +p. Once your learn the revolver, then you can move to some 357 rounds and go from there.:twocents:

OK, really, if I were you I would just sell it and get an M&P340:D

I really appreciate all of the info!! I just looked at the M&P340, looks sweet, but WOW for the price!!! I couldn't afford that one for a while! When I bought it, I got some 38 special rounds for it, but I have yet to shoot it as I said. I will probably go buy a box of .357 and take it to the range and test out both types of rounds, but from what I hear, there is a heck of a big difference in recoil. It's not that I can't handle recoil, it's the fact of how long it will take me to line up that 2nd shot that I am concerned about.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    .38 special is easy on the hand. .357 packs a wallop in this little guy. I use Hornady Custom 125 gr XTP for carry loads.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I agree with Law, it is a decent gun but the 357 well jar your hand on such a light weight gun. I finally got to shoot one last weekend. It was great with teh 38 rounds though.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    My wife wanted one (so has one), but can't shoot it. Even with 38 Spl target loads, it is too much to handle. Even I don't enjoy shooting it, it's just too light and 'kicks' too much. Her S&W 'J' frame is a much better shooting gun. -- Greg

Top Bottom