• ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Guys,

I'm evaluating a Ruger Mark III Competition stainless to buy. Owner claims the gun has only been fired a few times and it certainly looks it. Practically mint in the box with all the original items, locks, rail, mags, etc.

I don't have a chance to fire it for a week or two but I tried cycling some live .22 rounds through it yesterday, just working the action. Only about 60% of the rounds would eject. The rest would just sit in the chamber, either all the way in the chamber, or just rest on top of the top round of the mag and not eject--just sit there loose on top.

After some investigation, it looks like there actually might be two issues:

1. The loaded chamber indicator is actually getting to the rear of the rim of the cartridge and holding it in the chamber to the point where the extractor isn't strong enough to pull it out

2. When the extractor grabs the rim and pulls the cartridge back, it's not hitting the ejector every time and really looks like the rim of the ejected cartridge is hitting the rim of the top round in the magazine and not the ejector?

Reading the Ruger manual though, it says basically that you can have jams cycling live rounds through the gun by working the action but that when the shells are fired, it won't jam (or words to that effect).

I've never had one of these guns but I know there are tons out there. The gun looks literally brand new, not beat up, so I can't imagine something's been abused too far to be fixed.

What do you guys say? Ever have these problems with this gun? What are the solutions (other than not buy it)?

Thanks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Those are the pistols we use in the National Shooting Sports Foundation "First Shots" program. They take 100's of rounds of shooting by beginners with no firearms related failures. There are a few ammo related failures, but clearing the dead round and replacing with some quality ammo, like CCI, always gets the firearm back on line. They are VERY dependable pistols. I would not worry if your dry cycle test looks bad, the pistols are good.

Last edited:

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    Never had a problem with my Mark III hunter. However, I don't think I've ever tried cycling rounds through it by hand. I think its going to be fine. They are great guns!!:rockwoot:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Give it a go at the range. If you're still having problems and you can't figure it out, call Ruger... They'll do ya right.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Great gun, and Rugers customer service is one of the best, I's say your risk is low no matter what the outcome.

Everyone needs one of these, get it.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, based on you guys (and some others I talked to), I decided to get it. At $400 for LNIB, I guess it's not a bad deal.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I have also found that the Ruger MK line does not cycle ammo well if you do it by hand. When you fire them they don't seem to have issues though. Mine have been some of the most reliable .22s I own.

Top Bottom