• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reaper101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Muncie, Indiana
    Ok INGO i wanted the hives mind set on what they thought of the Ruger Mini-30? Also wanted to know from those of you who had/have one and if they shot steel cased ammo through theres? ive searched the web and found people saying that they do and that it doesn't cause any damage and then ive heard just the opposite to. So what say the hive? As far as choice wise i just like the M1 frame and it dependability, but cant afford a M1A1 or a garand and i dont care for the M1 carbine.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    They are, loosely, downsized M14 rifles. They do not have the benefit of extreme accuracy or reliability, and they are overpriced for what they are.

A much better value and tougher rifle with the same approximate accuracy would be an SKS. If the peep sights are important to you, you can get Tech-Sights for the SKS.

Josh

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Honestly, I thought about a mini 30 until I saw the price. I ended up having a custom AR upper made for me. It was only about 100 bucks more by the time I bought and assembled my lower. The one major benefit is that I can pick up CP products magazines for about 1/3 the price of a Ruger and have had no reliability problems.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've had my stainless 189-series Mini 30 for quite some time now. Purchased NIB at a 1500 for about $400 IIRC. The only issue I ever had with it was the lack of reliable added-capacity magazines and that's been 'cured' with the advent of Ruger factory 20-rd. mags.

Functioning has always been dead-nuts reliable with the stock 5-rd. mag. Ditto the Ruger 20-rd. boxes. It's much lighter and handier than my standard SKSes and was always at least as relatively accurate with good ammo. You do have to clean it from the muzzle, but I use a bore guide same as I do with my M1, etc.

The only mods have been replacing the stock folding peep with a Williams 'Guide' receiver sight and the stabilizer rod/muzzle brake/front sight combo kit from Trueshot Technologies. Will now deliver consistant 2-2 1/2" five-shot groups from a bench or solid prone at 100 M with Norinco 'Silver' or 'Yellow' box ball even with my bifocal-clad eyes. Most of the commercial Russian stuff functions alright but doesn't group nearly as well for me. No chronic functional issues or signs of accelerated wear on the extractor, etc. as yet after several K rds. of steel-cased ammo. OMMV.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    i've got a stainless 581 series. the only problems i've run into with it are the lack of magazine choices and the hard primers on russian ammo. you can get cheap off brand mags for these rifles, but they don't feed reliably. ruger factory mags seem to be the only mags that the rifle will run great on. the only down side to them is they cosst $40 each. the hard primer issue has been solved by replacing the hammerspring with a wolff extra power hammer spring. the spring was cheap and i did it myself. i also put in a stiffer recoil spring to keep my range neighbors happy (they throw casings a mile) and a recoil buffer. as far as accuracy is concerned, i can hit what i want. no, it won't win a long range accuracy contest, but i don't need it to be a sniper rifle.

what it boils down to is what do you want and or like? i enjoy mine. it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot.

reaper101

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Muncie, Indiana
    look on gunbroker for mags they have the factory 20rd mags on there for 29.00. i plan on buying several when i get my mini. thats as soon as the bums at the IRS give me my tax return, that ive been waiting on for the last two months.:(

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I bought my Ruger 20-rd. mags from CDNN for $29 apiece plus S&H. Not exactly cheap, but when you consider what Wilson and other premium 1911 mags cost it doesn't seem so bad. Very stoutly made and the only absolutely reliable extra capacity boxes for a Mini-30 I've run across over the years.

Top Bottom