• Which would you pic?

• Total voters

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    This poll is for me. I want to buy a 22 pistol for my birthday. I have it down to these two, Ruger Mark III 22/45 or gsg/sig 1911-22. Let me know you opinions and why

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Ruger

Hands down!!! Do a little research and you will see why.. Not that the gsg is junk but the Ruger is pretty much an industry standard by which others are judged... The eat pretty much anything , are super accurate and you can get spare mags easily... I personally would like a gsg or sig variant of a 1911 but the design doesn't lend itself to accuracy or reliable function... I have a 70 or 80's vintage markII that I love...... Tim

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Well... again this is a personal choice thing. I would say which one do you want to buy first. :) You can not beat the Ruger and its history. I have heard they are hard to clean. I own the GSG 1911.22 tactical and love it. But I wanted it for a 1911 style to practice with that type of weapon. .22 ammo is still the cheapest rounds to shoot. So before I moved up to a 1911 9 .40 or .45 I wanted the same style weapon to practice with and really work fundementals. I do intend to own a ruger at some point. But with my funds tight I had to make choices. I can also put a silencer on the GSG which I intend to do at some point also. So you have to ask yourself what do you want to do with it now and the future what other weapons may you buy that will complement your purchase today. Just some of my twisted wanderings of the mind. I dont think youll be unhappy with either purchase.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Ruger

Go with what you know! Not much more to say other than its a Ruger. Fit and finish is much nicer. Most of the GSG's look like they have a Parkerized finish. that just looks cheap IMO. Ruger has many different models and accessories to make it your own. Not sure what your location is, but Bradis in Camby had a good selection recently.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I have owned Ruger 22/45s since the mid-90s ('95 when I came back from Chicago). I own five of them now and I shoot the stuffing out of them. Highly recommended.

Because of the current leadership at SIG I am hesitant to purchase any SIG products at this time. YMMV.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Depends on your use for the pistol. With that said, I stood at the range yesterday shooting my Mark III next to my buddy who was shooting his GSG 1911. I was able to shoot far more rounds as he was too busy trying to figure out why his was FTF FTE etc etc. Over 7000 rounds through my Ruger and there have been exactly 2 FTE when the gun was very dirty. The difficulty cleaning issue with the Ruger is really not a problem once you learn the weapon.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Hands down!!! Do a little research and you will see why.. Not that the gsg is junk but the Ruger is pretty much an industry standard by which others are judged... The eat pretty much anything , are super accurate and you can get spare mags easily... I personally would like a gsg or sig variant of a 1911 but the design doesn't lend itself to accuracy or reliable function... I have a 70 or 80's vintage markII that I love...... Tim

You may want to purchase and use a GSG1911 before you make what sounds to be empirical claims as to their accuracy and reliable function.

My GSG1911 has more than 20,000 rounds in its first year of life, and is still going strong. The target pics and video below speak for themselves:

1 shot on a bet:
    gsg1911on223casing.jpg

gsg1911bench25yards.jpg

100 shots at a single target gets fatiguing, and the groups open up a bit.
    hostagerescue.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QrvAUc2prU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRJE87Gd86M

Oh, and I like and shoot the Ruger Mark II's and III's just as well.

Last edited:

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I haven't shot a GSG but I really like the 22/45 RP. I shot a freinds last summer and out of the box I was hitting a 3" circle at 25yrds. I am sure I could shoot even better if I had more time with it. The Rugers are just so darn accurate an very easy to mount optics if you so choose. I have really been considering on getting an RP model.

jkirby

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Kokomo/Bunker hill
    I haven't shot a GSG but I really like the 22/45 RP. I shot a freinds last summer and out of the box I was hitting a 3" circle at 25yrds. I am sure I could shoot even better if I had more time with it. The Rugers are just so darn accurate an very easy to mount optics if you so choose. I have really been considering on getting an RP model.

I own a Ruger MKIII 22/45 RP and it has become my favorite gun to shoot. In a little over a month I have put almost 1000 rounds down range. If I could get to the range more often I couldn't imagine how high that number would be. you could buy any Ruger MK series and you will never regret that purchase but i would highly recommend the 22/45 RP model. My only regret is waiting so long to get this gun.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm with gglass on the GSG. Mine has been flawless, no matter what I feed it. But, we are comparing apples and oranges. Each one does its job well, they are just different pistols. Pick the one you feel most comfortable shooting; you can't go wrong.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have a gsg, a browning buckmark and just bought a 22/45. I shoot the gsg more than any. Can't give a round count but its alot never had any problems.

Top Bottom