• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ignacio49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I have the possibility of buying any of these two pistols. Although they are not of current production both are new in box.

The Ruger has the reputation of being utterly reliable, accurate, and long lasting. Almost all the comments I have read are positive. The only negative in this particular case is that the mags are 10 rounds, therefore I have to buy some higher capacity ones.
    The Taurus is aluminum/stainless steel combination (I like it), 17 round capacity, but I have read good and bad comments about this gun, and I do not know what to think of it. I always wanted a big Beretta, and now it is my chance to get something very close to it, or so I think/hope.

I like both pistols. Which one is the better gun? Why?

Thanks for your help :)

Ignacio

Last edited:

brandonq2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Montgomery county
    I have no experience with the Taurus, but I did have a P95 DC. Pros: accurate, dependable, lightweight. Cons: bulky (compared to my 1911), and 15 round factory Ruger mags were difficult to load the last few rounds.

One major issue I had with this pistol was the lack of a half-cock position. I was in the office/lobby of a shop I worked at just after closing one day when I got the experience of a lifetime. Standing next to a counter, I stepped back to lean against the counter, and as my hands were moving back to meet the counter edge my right palm brushed the hammer (hammer down, round in the chamber.) My palm lifted the hammer just enough to let it drop and fire. In the holster. On my hip. In a business lobby.

I still have the wallet with the mark where the bullet grazed it, the carhart jeans with the slash through the right rear pocket (thankfully I was carrying outside the wasteband), and from time to time my friend randomly texts me a picture of the hole in the tile floor since he still works there. Needless to say I never carried that pistol again, and traded it to a friend soon afterwords.

Your mileage may vary, but just a heads up on the function of a P95 DC based on personal experience.

dswilson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Shelby County
    I have no experience with either model but I won a P97 and have shot a few Taurus automatics. I have zero complaints about my ruger (as I have said in other threads), I know I have over 1000 rounds through it but I don't have an exact count. I have had zero issues with its function from day 1. As far as taurus goes I have shot a PT 24-7 and the PT-92. The 24-7 was a good shooter just not comfortable for me. The PT-92 however belonged to my friend and it seemed like we couldn't put a full mag through it without a stovepipe on the last few rounds. IMHO go with a ruger and you won't go wrong.

hillnc01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    FT. Wayne
    I would go with the Ruger. I have a p97 which was my very first gun, never had an issue with it and have several thousand rounds through it

Last edited:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I bought my Ruger P95DC a year and a half ago, used. Love it. No complaints. Can't say anything about it going off from a partially cocked position except maybe a fluke?

I've got nearly 2000 rounds through mine with only one misfeed due to me limpwristing it. That's using factory ammo, high quality reloads and dubious quality reloads. All fired and fired accurately. The dubious quality reloads I could actually feel the difference in power from one round to the next. Also it feed hollowpoints without a problem.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I hate Taurus, but love the 92 series. The 917 is based off the 92, but I dont know all of the differences. I have shot one, and handled a few P95s, and while they are serviceable, they don't stand out to me. If I was to make your decision, I'd get the Taurus; in fact, I may soon be picking up a 99.

FFJakeT

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    The Ruger. You can find 30 round mags at gun shows for around $15 bucks too. I want one for the sole purpose of HD, not to carry, I already carry a SR9C. a buddy has a p85 he bought off of his dad and the 30 rounders fit the p85 p95 and one other. Good luck with your purchase.

Top Bottom