• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I am contemplating getting an SR40. These are still relatively new on the market. I have read some opinions and watched a few videos, but it is not quite the same as asking some specific questions of my own.

The SR9 has been around a little longer, and from what I have read, it is pretty reliable. It has not been around as long as some other usuals (Glock, Springfield...). How is the SR40 on reliability? Fail to feed, fail to fire?

Is the SR40 picky on ammo?
    Is the recoil on the SR40 more or less than your average 40? Please describe.

I felt one at our not so favorite place to shop that starts with a G and ends in ountain. It was $449, which is not a bad price. I would consider a Springfield XD, but it would be hard to justify $100 or more extra.

I am open to any other advice. Thanks!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I can only tell you what I've heard from those that own them and they were very happy with them. I lurk at the Ruger forums and everybody comments on how soft it shoots when compared to other .40 cal offerings. Ruger is a stand-up company that would help with any issues if there were any and I'd trust an SR40 enough to carry one if I owned one.

I'm still very partial to Glock and here lately the M&P line of pistols and some M&P40 can be had for a little more than the SR40; I personally like the palm swell the M&P has over the backstrap that some of the other polymer guns offer. I don't think you would hurt yourself in the least by picking one up. Maybe venture over to rugerforum.com and snoop around, they seem to be an honest and friendly group of shooters.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My Ruger SR40 is my only full size pistol. I really like the way it feels. It shoots accurately and has been 100% reliable with a variety of ammo. I feed it a regular diet of Winchester law enforcement 135gr hp, and BVAC frangibles, but shoot the cheaper stuff regularly with no issues. It is still so new, its hard to find alot of aftermarket gear and mags for. I did find that the Blackhawk Serpa SR9 holster fits the 40 also. A buddy of mine was looking at the full size Glock 40 and the XD40, & I told him to check out the Ruger also. I don't think you can go wrong with it.
    2m62979.jpg

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I shot an SR9 and SR40 side by side on Saturday at the NWI meet & shoot. I forget the name of the owner he was wearing a bears jersey. I really liked it, it's not noticeably bigger, same grip, a little bit bigger slide. As for recoil there wasn't much difference to me, it's just a little more snap.

Top Bottom