• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clifford7889

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Hi all,

I had a question. I am looking into purchasing the Ruger SR9c or the SR40c. This would be my first pistol that i've purchased, and I would use it for carry. My question is just whether or not anyone has a personal preference over the 9mm or the .40. Im not sure exactly what the advantages would be to having one or the other. I just wanted to see what your opinions were on the matter.

My other question is if anyone knows whether or not Ruger gives a military discount on their firearms, and what the discount rate is.

I tried to look for discussions on this, but couldn't find much.

Sorry if this has been posted before.

Thanks,

C.j.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    :D My brother had a Ruger 9mm and liked it very much. I would pic the 9mm over the .40S&W. You can shoot the 9 faster and cheaper....and probably stay on target better. You can e-mail or call someone at Ruger by visting their web site at www.ruger.com and tnx for your service.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    There's a lot of debate for 40 versus 9mm in terms of stopping power, etc.

In my opinion, the 9mm is certainly more comfortable to practice with and at least right now 9mm is about 25% + cheaper to shoot.

I don't think you can really go wrong either way though.

I have bought items in the past online from Bud's Gun Shop and had them shipped to my FFL's. I noticed they have a site dedicated to LE and military. You might take a look. I am not either so don't know how good the discount is, but usually Bud's is highly competitive on most items.

Here's the link and thanks for your service...

Discount Guns for Law Enforcement by Buds Gun Shop (budsgunshop.com)

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have an SR9C and I like it alot. If I could have found an SR40C for a good price I may have bought one of those too.

Typically 9mm is cheaper, has less recoil, and the same sized gun will hold more rounds. 40 is a more powerful round, its a better man stopper if there is such a thing. I think most law enforcement use a 40.

If you can find an SR40C for a good price, snatch it up because I have only seen one in person at Gander.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    You won't go wrong with either choice you make. As for price for ammo, the 9mm is looking way better than the .45 ACP that I shoot.

Clifford7889

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    So I guess the general consensus is that, while 9mm is cheaper and with less recoil, the .40 has more stopping power. Haha.. I guess i am just torn between the two. Although part of me is leaning towards the .40 because I already have a half box of .40 that is used on my buddies gun. Perhaps that isn't a good reason to buy it lol.

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm in the same boat with you. I'm going to get either the 9c or 40c next I just can't decide. I think the 9mm has plenty of self defense rounds that are just as effective as the 40 so it is really a toss up. If I can find a great deal on either one I'm going to take it.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So I guess the general consensus is that, while 9mm is cheaper and with less recoil, the .40 has more stopping power. Haha.. I guess i am just torn between the two. Although part of me is leaning towards the .40 because I already have a half box of .40 that is used on my buddies gun. Perhaps that isn't a good reason to buy it lol.

If your driver is to use a half box of ammo, that $$ will be spent many times over in the difference in ammo costs.

If you are ok with the ammo cost, go with the 40. Plenty of people shoot them and have no issues with follow up shots.

If you want to shoot more often for your $$ go with the 9mm.

Cant go wrong either way.

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    I have put around 6,000 to 7,000 rounds through my SR9 in the past year in practice and USPSA. I like it so much, I just bought an SR9C for daily carry because it feels/operates pretty much exactly the same.

Only problem I had was when I first got it I had occasional FTF from light primer strikes. Sent it back to Ruger, they fixed it at no cost and it has been fine since.

I have not shot the SR40 or SR40c, but I have shot many other .40's and prefer the 9mm overall for the above mention reasons. Good luck.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    My first pistol was a Ruger P89. Probably should have never sold it but they are inexpensive, their rattly, and well, I had to have a Glock.

I bought a G23 and never shot so badly. I would go to Dons, back when a yearly range pass was $25 for you and a friend, and shoot the .40 then the Ruger P89. the difference was night and day. I know some people can really shoot a .40 but I can't and I personally would advise against it for a first pistol cartridge. The 9MM shoots so much smoother and it is cheaper as mentioned above.

-Andy

Side note: a buddy in Cincy just bought a SR9C and really likes it. It was his first gun too.

Clifford7889

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Awesome advice guys! I definitely appreciate the tips. Im thinking that I will probably buy the 9mm. I suppose if the right deal came along with a .40 then I might have to jump on it. But otherwise i'll just keep doing my research for a bit, before I rush into anything.

Does anyone know about whether Ruger does give a discount for military service members? I have a friend who is a licensed dealer, and I figured it might be easiest to go thru him.

Thanks,

C.j.

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    ive shot a sr9. shoots ok. but settled on the taurus pt 140. got it used for a little over 200. i would go that route for a sub compact 40. cheap and reliable.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I didn't know there were so many people that feels they can't shoot a 40 accurately. I guess it depends on what you started shooting with. As with anything else, practice makes you more proficient and you don't really notice if you are concentrating on sight picture and trigger squeeze.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    ive shot a sr9. shoots ok. but settled on the taurus pt 140. got it used for a little over 200. i would go that route for a sub compact 40. cheap and reliable.

Umm no lol. Ruger > Taurus

I am not an anti Taurus snob, I have owned several in my day, as many as three at one time. But come on now. You get what you pay for.

I didn't know there were so many people that feels they can't shoot a 40 accurately. I guess it depends on what you started shooting with. As with anything else, practice makes you more proficient and you don't really notice if you are concentrating on sight picture and trigger squeeze.

I agree, heck I shot my old Kahr CW40 just fine and its a lot smaller with a lot more recoil than a gun the size of an SR40c. Im with you, the snappiness of a 40 can be managed with a little practice. But if you dont like the recoil of a 40, go with the 9. Not a bad choice either way.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom