• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    What can you tell me about the Ruger SR9? I friend of mine is considering this weapon as a first handgun. They've done the research and asked for advice. Good Choice? Problems? Cost? I don't know anything about the gun except what I read in American Rifleman. Can you help me out with some info?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    What can you tell me about the Ruger SR9? I friend of mine is considering this weapon as a first handgun. They've done the research and asked for advice. Good Choice? Problems? Cost? I don't know anything about the gun except what I read in American Rifleman. Can you help me out with some info?

Mine feels great, shoots accurately, and runs flawlessly. I've got about 500 rounds through it. It is also easy to carry concealed, due to its thin profile. My humble opinion is that its the best value out there for a 9mm.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    It's a very good choice.

The only problems I'm aware of is that one of the early production runs churned out some guns that were prone to the chamber and slide hammering each other, leading to peening of the barrel hood. That issue has been resolved.

Cost is in the neighborhood of $450.

The gun is slim, feels fantastic in the hands, points well. I prefer it's trigger to that on any of the other striker fired guns. I like the adjustable sights, and they are clear and easy to see. Mag release is ambidextrous, as is the manual safety. I like the fact that it has a manual safety. I find the safety easy to hit to take off, but the lever is smallish and I think the safety is hard to re-engage. It's got a rep for good reliability and accuracy.

All in all, a very fine choice for a carry gun.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love mine. It had one problem from the factory with a bad cam-lock pin that kept creeping out. Ruger took care of the problem quickly and politely.

It has been very reliable. I'm around 400-500 rounds through it.

Edit: Take down is easy enough for this beginner to do quickly.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    "As with a majority of today's semiauto pistols, the SR9 comes from the factory unable to be fired with the magazine removed. However, unlike any other pistol of its type, the SR9's disconnect can be deactivated simply by plucking out the disconnect link while the gun is disassembled, enabling a chambered cartridge to be fired even if the magazine is inadvertently dropped or damaged. I believe this is an essential feature for ANY personal defense or duty sidearm." - Dick Metcalf

Ruger SR9 | Reviews

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd like to find one that my wife and I could fire...

I've never done anything more than handle / dry fire one.

My wife saw a green-framed one at Bradis the other day and said "I like the green one"...

She also said that she liked the Jericho 941 9mm they had.

Looks like I might need to find her "her own" pistol. hehe

-J-

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I enjoy mine. Previous owner said he had about 200-300 rounds through it without any problems, I have put an additional 300 rounds through it with zero malfunctions. I have a larger hand and it fits in mine very well, like everyone else has said it is very easy to conceal with it being so slim. Take down is extremely easy. 17 +1 is also pretty convenient! I would recommend one to anyone.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    Update to this thread...

After a lot of deliberation, my friend finally purchased the Ruger SR9c!! Another Hoosier female gun owner joins the ranks! She is excited about her new purchase and can't wait to take it out and run some rounds through it. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom