• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Was poking around a local shop this morning, looking for a mid sized 9mm. They had a SR9 for $360 that fits my hand and budget. Got a few questions regarding this pistol. Is that a decent price, and how good are the SR9s? How are they for durability, reliability, and accuracy? If anybody doesn't recommend one, any alternatives in same general size, shape, price range? I'm not looking for a target pistol or EDC piece, more of a casual shooter and nightstand gun.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If that was the price for a new pistol...that's a SMOKING deal. Seriously smoking.

I hear lots of good things about them, but I've not shot one. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember if there was a recall on them or not; seems to me there was when they were first released. I'd research that, if I were you, then see if that pistol had been either A) fixed or B) produced post-recall.

About the only thing in the same price range would be a used Glock, but those are still in the $400 + range. Every once in a while you can find a well-loved Glock for $350ish, but they tend to sell VERY fast.

-J-

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Was poking around a local shop this morning, looking for a mid sized 9mm. They had a SR9 for $360 that fits my hand and budget. Got a few questions regarding this pistol. Is that a decent price, and how good are the SR9s? How are they for durability, reliability, and accuracy? If anybody doesn't recommend one, any alternatives in same general size, shape, price range? I'm not looking for a target pistol or EDC piece, more of a casual shooter and nightstand gun.

I paid 429 for mine brand new. You cannot go wrong with the SR9. Never once had a ftf or fte. As far as accuracy goes, it is dead on right out of the box. I would recommend this gun for sure.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    SR9's had a trigger recall. But most were fixed, and all that are new have the new trigger. Most people say that they took the triger from the SR9c, but I don't know how much truth is in that statement. I have the SR40(SR9's big brother) and couldn't be happier.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have the SR9c (compact) and love it. You should definitely consider it. The larger size sounds like a better option for you since you aren't worried about CC.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I have one, see my avatar. My son has one just like it. Both of our SR9's have around 1500-2000 rounds thru them, and they have been flawless. Not a single problem. We have found that both of ours seem to like 115 gr. ammo over any other accuracy wise.

IMO if you're looking at a 9mm handgun, they don't come any better than the SR9.:yesway:

Scruffles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    North East IN
    I have been doing some research on this gun, as have been looking for my first handgun. They came out around fall 2007 and the recall was around spring 2008. The recall included the Glock style trigger as well as several internal upgrades. However the newest version that has the light trigger pull of the SR9-C has a (D) shaped magazine release and a (bent) dis assembly plate. As far as price after two 1500's that's the cheapest I've heard of. The lowest I could find one was $380. If you do decide to target shoot with it, Ghost sells a trigger kit that they say reduces the pull to about 3.5lbs. Sorry for the book :D But good luck on your decision :rockwoot:
    Source: Ruger SR series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I don't own one, but I broke one in for my BIL. He was home on leave from the service and bought one while he was here. He then purchased 500rds for me to run thru it for him before he returns (one hellofa nice brother, huh) so of course I did. The first day out I put 100 rounds thru it, then cleaned. Then next outing put another 200rds thru it. So far, this is as far as I've got with it. I must say that his 9c is a great little shooter. Very accurate (moreso that I was expecting), great recoil management for follow up shots. I was impressed with this Ruger and would highly consider owning one of my own in .40.

stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    I recently purchased one. I only have about 500 rounds through it but so far I am loving it! It's a great price you're getting, I think I paid $420 for mine.

Top Bottom