Rules and Limitations for Non FFL Holding / Private Collectors of Firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    WOW . . . so many stupid questions in one thread.

SERIOUSLY guys do you think that if you are posting guns for sale that there are not people watching?

A question about being subpoenaed for information??? OMG, its all public information, WTF would they need a subpoena for? To read what you posted publicly???

Hmm, maybe a subpoena would be needed to obtain IP address associated with a specific account that made a post :dunno:. It's not the content of the message, it's the ability to tie that content to an individual.

Did you think the questions were JUST about public content?:n00b:

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I'm considering liquidating more than seven, in a time period of less than a year. I have the intention of turning the funds from several, for which I have no purpose, into one or two, "tier one" rifles & optics.

I've owned all guns in question, for a minimum of two years. Doubtful that I'll make any profit.

Is this something worth being concerned about?

Yes, you should be worried about it, and also, you should sell them all to me at a considerable loss so that they cannot accuse you of anything illegal.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Maybe I'm naive, but would the number of guns sold here even register as a blip on someone's radar?

Why not just pull up the source code and read the IP address yourself??? Its available to anyone who knows how to view it! No subpoena needed.

The HTML source for one of the forum webpages does not contain our IP addresses. What are you referring to?

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Maybe I'm naive, but would the number of guns sold here even register as a blip on someone's radar?

That depends entirely on how many you're selling, really. If the ATF (who we officially presume watch classifieds on websites such as this) see thirty posts by one person at once, it'll probably raise some red flags. Gradually selling ten guns over the year? Not really a problem, I imagine.

It should also be noted that it's a big grey area if you're selling guns but not making a profit. It can very easily be argued that you're just participating in a hobby and it has nothing to do with a business venture.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    That depends entirely on how many you're selling, really. If the ATF (who we officially presume watch classifieds on websites such as this) see thirty posts by one person at once, it'll probably raise some red flags. Gradually selling ten guns over the year? Not really a problem, I imagine.

It should also be noted that it's a big grey area if you're selling guns but not making a profit. It can very easily be argued that you're just participating in a hobby and it has nothing to do with a business venture.

I would hope your right. Just because my hobby involves firearms as opposed to golf, shouldn't qualify me as a person of suspicion.

Top Bottom