• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Picked up a 629-1 w/ 8 3/8 barrel . the previous owner tried to mount a scope on the barrel rib and crushed ribs on the top in 4 places , about a 1/4" to 3/8' circles . doesn't hurt the gun , just looks like hell . Do I replace the barrel , or is there any way to fix ? Can take a pic when I get home . How do I get another barrel ? Send it in ? any help would be great . thanks

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My suggestion:
    Send it back to Smith for a barrel replacement. I am satisfied with the modest amount of work the factory has done on my revolvers, including one barrel change.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    just how much , ballpark , does this cost . Can i get a 6" instead ?

Don't know.
    Call Smith & Wesson, and someone, there, will give you a very accurate estimate. As far as I know, the barrel length can be changed, but it has been a long time since I had that done: changed a 29-2 from 4" blue to 8 3/8" nickel. I already had a 4" and 6 1/2" and long barrels were exceeding rare; so, I bought another 4" and had Smith put the long barrel on it.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Me Too...

Picked up a 629-1 w/ 8 3/8 barrel . the previous owner tried to mount a scope on the barrel rib and crushed ribs on the top in 4 places , about a 1/4" to 3/8' circles . doesn't hurt the gun , just looks like hell . Do I replace the barrel , or is there any way to fix ? Can take a pic when I get home . How do I get another barrel ? Send it in ? any help would be great . thanks

I now have a S&W 27-2 at a local gunsmith for a barrel replacement. I have not gotten it back yet--He is also doing some blue work on it.
    PM me if you want His name + phone #..Bill.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i recently re barreled the smith 27-2 of my fathers i blew up when i was a kid shooting a niebors reloads. it was actually mine because since i snuck the gun out i had to bail hay all summer and buy him a replacement. anyways i finally found a barrel and fixed the gun, mollyresoned it and gave it to him for fathersday. he didn't have a clue.

Top Bottom