• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Does anyone have an opinion on this pistol? I'd like to have one for when SHTF (and after I buy my AK :D ). Are they reliable and how available are accessories and magazines? Can i shoot +P or +P+ ammo in them? Seems like a nice aluminum framed 9mm.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Had a 469, sort of the precursor... :)

They are a great pistol, a bit chunky, but nothing terrible. Not a super deep concealment gun, but easy to carry (alloy frame) and pretty accurate. Takes the 59 series mags (some may stick out a bit), mags available at CDNN. Sights might be a bit touchy (not a ton of "night sights" but they are out there). Lots of grips available, holsters may have to search a bit.

Skip the +P+ in those guns, the alloy will wear on the double quick (found that out with a Smith 5903 I had :( ). +P, minimal amounts, but enough so that you know what's going on when you activate the bang switch.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    3rd gen goodness. They are very reliable and often affordable. Novak night sights are easy to get. I prefer using a hogue slip on grip as the full hogue replacements for the 6906 are a little too thick with finger grooves and all.

picture.php

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I would not shoot +p's in the 6906. Read the owners manual cause I am sure I did not fire anything above 115 grain in mine. I did carry it with Black Talons and shot them fine. Also Golden Sabres. My first pistol purchase was a Smith and Wesson 6906. Bought it in 1991. Snappy little pistol and sold it to my best friend so I could get my first Glock. I miss that pistol but know it is in good hands.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have a 6906 inherited from my Dad. I like the gun, I'd carry it if it didn't mean so much to me. Usually just shoot it a couple times a year when I spend alot of time at the range with othe guns. The 6906 will take 5906 mags, there is an adapter that fills the slack sticking out. CDNN usually has 6906's and 5906's pretty cheap. I will say that the grip is a little short for me on the 6906. I had a 5903 and still have a 915. If you're looking for a 3rd gen S&W and you want a longer barrel and/or longer grip, look into the 5906 or 915. The 915 is basically a "value" 5906. Nothing really different except it's blued and doesn't have an ambi safety/decocker. PM me if you want more info....

farmerdan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    I bought my first 6906 at Bradis in 91 and My wife now has one.I don't carry mine much but is a great gun that will eat any ammo I feed it. You can't go wrong on any 3rd gen smiths they are built like tanks..

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    The 6906 (12+1) is essentially a double stack 3913 (8+1) which is the small single stack nine in the third generation. A 5906 is a double stack full size nine that is 15+1. The 5906 is larger and heavier than either 3913 or 6906. I own a 5906 and a 3913. I like both guns very much. Being S&W third gen semis they are both heavier and a bit bulkier than plastic guns in the same niche. They both come with manual safety/decocker and mag safeties. Both are extremely reliable and not picky about ammo. I personally would not shoot +P out of either but I don't use +p in anything, never really saw the benefit. Anyway, if you are deciding between a 6906 and a 5906 you really need to feel the heft and size of these guns. Obviously, shooting each would be ideal. Have fun and enjoy. I don't see how you could go wrong either way.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have a 6904 (Blued Finish). The gun is sweet. Not snappy, accurate, built like a tank, eats what I put through it easy to carry. The mags are a little pricey but I have never had a problem with any of mine. The gun is small enough for me to conceal failry well but big enough for me to get a good grip on it. The pinky extensions help a lot on the compact version. I am 5'7ish and 125 lbs so with my small frame I can wear it for a 10 hr day and not have any problem. Sometimes I have to dress around it but, thats alright with me. The gun has never FTF, FTE or anything and I think I have around 1500 rds through mine. If you are having trouble deciding what gun to get, get one that you can use the most right now. A good carry gun is hard to beat even though an AK would be fun. I would rather be more prepared to defend myself with my handgun then having an AK at home just in case the SHTF.

Top Bottom