S&W M&P .40 Anyone else have this problem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just Wondering, Ive had my M&P .40 for about a year now and every mag when loaded to the full 15 round capacity the mags rattle really bad, so bad that i contacted S&W about it and even ordered another mag. The guy from Smith said to smack them in the palm of my hand firmly to seat the rounds. Unfortunately i had already tried that and it works for a little bit or until i seat the mag into the gun or my mag pouch and then they start rattling again. Even the new mag i ordered does this, its so annoying that i no longer carry it, it sit in the nightstand with my TLR-1 mounted to it. It has never seemed to affect the performance of the pistol, its always been 100% with all 3 mags but the rattle is just to much.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    As Esrice said, it's a double stack thing. You won't really encounter it with a single stack mag like the 1911, but the double stacks do it to one degree or another no matter the platform.

I can load up 4 mags and one or two will rattle. I can then unload them and reload and one or two different mags will rattle. It just seems to be random chance, but It has never really bother me. Just knowing that I have 15+1 of .40 S&W power on call gives me all the comfort I need.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As Esrice said, it's a double stack thing.

It has to do with how the rounds stack up against each other. Remember that the rounds are staggered inside that magazine. Sometimes a little "wiggle room" is incorporated and a round has a little room to move back-and-forth.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yeah i can understand that the mags may have a little wiggle room to accomadate so many rounds, but none of my Mec-gar Sig mags do that, My FNX-9 holds 17 and they are quite, maybe a tap if i really try to fling them but otherwise they are solid. Idk maybe im making to much of this. Its just so annoying, walking all day and hearing tap, tap, tap, tap,

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a M&P 9mm and its magazine does that rattle sometimes. if you take a round out of the mag when you hear it rattle the rattle will stop. Like others stated it is a double stack thing and nothing to worry about. I also have a SIG for duty that does it. As far as streching the spring, since there is nothing wrong I personally wouldn't recommend that as you run the risk of causing it to stop working like it should.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thats true, but if I take one round out of every mag of the three i have then instead of the 46 rounds i would have with one in the chamber, id be limited to only 43! :( I may as well not even carry it at all.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thats true, but if I take one round out of every mag of the three i have then instead of the 46 rounds i would have with one in the chamber, id be limited to only 43! :( I may as well not even carry it at all.

I wasn't meaning to take the round out for carry. Just for an experiment. That was something I just did just to see if the rattle in mine quit and it did.
    Load it up full it's fine sometimes people worry too much if we think something isn't "just right"

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yeah i knew what you were saying. Sorry didnt mean to sound like a smartass, I was only kidding. I accually agree with you the rattle does stop if it "only" has 14 rounds in it, also I was kinda poking fun at the fact that with three mags loaded to capacity im carrying almost 2 full boxes of high quality defensive ammo! Honestly if im still in trouble after all those rounds, then im either in the absolute wrong place or i need to spend more time at the range. My point is that there is enough to spare a few if it solves my prolem, Thanks.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    My SR40 doesnt rattle. My XD9sc rattles with the 16 round mag full but not with the 13 round mag. If I remove one round from the 16 rnd mag it doesnt rattle. My 92FS doesnt rattle.

You would think that with a full mag the spring would have enough tension to keep it from rattling and anything less than a full mag might allow for it to rattle.

Last edited:

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I used to get that rattle in my Kel-Tec P11 a lot, and I get it occasionally in my XD. Haven't tried it in my M&P 40 yet, but I wouldn't be too surprised. I don't hear it from my single stack guns, though, like the 1911 or Taurus Slim models.

Top Bottom