• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, I will be VERY honest. I am not very knowledgeable about wheel guns. I mean, I know the basics, but when it comes to good quality and what to look for, I am an idiot.

I came across a model 29-4, not a classic, with a 5" barrel and unfluted cylinders. I guess it is difficult to find this combination (again, so I have been told, so I don't know if that is true). The gun has some extras. Magna ported and then A gunsmith by the name of Andy Cannon narrowed and polished the trigger and hammer, did an integral trigger stop (whatever that is), and a full action job. It looks great! The bluing is dam near perfect.

I guess my question/concern is....is this a good model 29 considering the work that has been done to it? I just want a solid 44magnum to add to my collection. I was wanting a smaller barreled 29 to carry easier, but this seems...nice.

I would appreciate anyone who knows model 29's to chime in.

Thanks,
    Larry

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That...for $750?

You'd better buy it post-haste!

After a quick Googling... Andy Cannon is the real deal IF the work was, in fact, done by him. I'd really inquire about receipts.

Also, it's semantics, really, but MagnaPorting is a trade name by a specific company, and it ain't Andy Canon. He probably did port the barrel, but it's not MagnaPorting.

-J-

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for the insight. I feel a lot better about my purchase now!

I will now have to figure out how to carry such a massive handgun. I searched for holsters and noticed holsters for 4" and 6" models. I will figure something out.

Thanks!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I have never seen one of those in person, only in pics. Unfluted cylinders are common on 29s, full lugs are not. I don't think you can go wrong, but I would be remiss just to offer this: unfluted cylinders, though ultra-cool looking, are weaker then fluted cylinders and don't index as easily. Also, it's just personal preference, but I loathe ported barrels on anything shy of a 460.

As a bit of comfort, that model "should" (I've learned not to speak in absolutes about Smiths) have the endurance package.

I don't know the gunsmith you mentioned, but his name is around the net in a positive light.

Holsters are also an issue for 5" barrels, but they are out there.

All in all I'd say if you want it, get it, I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    It sounds like a good deal. If Andy did do the work on it then it is a very good find! Andy did some nice work on revolvers!

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I just bought it! It is AWESOME! I was really impressed with the action and how tight the cylinder was when closed.

sbcman, what is the endurance package (see, I told you I was an idiot with wheel guns)?

Anyhow, I am a proud papa for sure! Thanks for everyone's input/feedback!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I just bought it! It is AWESOME! I was really impressed with the action and how tight the cylinder was when closed.

sbcman, what is the endurance package (see, I told you I was an idiot with wheel guns)?

Anyhow, I am a proud papa for sure! Thanks for everyone's input/feedback!

First of all- congrats on the buy!

The reason the cylinders lock up so tight on a 29/629 is due to the endurance package. In the earlier models the recoil from the 44 would cause the cylinder stop to back off, allowing the cylinder to "free wheel", general going back to the charge hole that had already been fired (the cylinder stop is the small protruding peice on the bottom of the frame that goes into the cylinder notches). The endurance package puts a beefier spring in the stop and a bigger stop (which is why it so tight). There's also a few other features to the endurance package, but that's the big one.

I've got a 629 that locks up tight enought to make a Colt blush.

The same problem occurred to the new x-frame 500s until they were "beefed" up as well.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Larry, that revolver is just awesome! That trigger job was amazing! Truely a work of art and it was great to see all of you having such a good time shooting it. Congrats on the great purchase! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom