• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inrunner75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Madison County
    Got a new mp 15-22 at gander mountain today, happy with it, but I want to take the flash hider off. I checked out the inside of the hider and it looks like there's threads where it mates up with the barrel, but I can't twist the hider off. Anyone know if a gunsmith would get it off, how much would they charge? Any recommendations for gunsmiths around the anderson/muncie/ne indy area? I don't want to screw up the barrel trying to do it myself since I don't have the tools.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Mine was very hard to remove. I believe they use something similar to loctight on them. I simply used a crescent wrench and a lot of muscle to get it to unscrew.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    take a torch to the hider for a few seconds. (heats up the locktite). then using a rag to prevent marring metal / paint, use a crescent wrench to take her off.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    You may get lucky and not do any damage, having the proper tools to do the job is a big plus. I shake my head every time I read a thread where someone tried to do a job the bubba way and then post on how to fix it.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    You may get lucky and not do any damage, having the proper tools to do the job is a big plus. I shake my head every time I read a thread where someone tried to do a job the bubba way and then post on how to fix it.
    proper tools are a big plus. :yesway:,

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    yes use a vise
    clamp it on the barrel and just wrench it off. It will be tight so prepare for muscles

example

BARREL%20VISE%20JAWS%20006.JPG

inrunner75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Madison County
    I attempted the other methods (heating the area up and trying to wrench it off) to no avail, didn't want to push my luck. I ended up taking it over to my cousin's and he had the vice and barrel clamps. He also gave me a bottle of kroil that I soaked the area around the flash hider with in the days leading up to going over to his place. We used some cardboard around the barrel to help prevent marring. Came right off.

Top Bottom