• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbmenefee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    I'm trying to get my first concealed carry, but my budget is kind of limited. I'm really looking for a .40 and came across the Smith and Wesson SD40VE for a little under $400. All the reviews I've read seem to indicate that it is a great gun, but due to the price I'm a little skeptical that maybe this is too good to be true. Thoughts?

ttrimcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lafayette
    GREAT gun. have put 700 at least trouble free rounds through mine since december! Carried from the day i got my permit up until i bought my M&P! The sd is seconday night stand gun! Only downside to the gun is the trigger is not good but the apex trigger kit helps some.

Pitbullguy81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    South Bend
    Because it has no thumb safety, it has a long trigger pull, I think that is the biggest complaint about it, its around 7lbs I believe. About the only safety on it is the trigger, similar to a Glock but different style.

If I am right, Glock sued Smith over the Sigma series because it was so similar to Glock. I suppose you could call it a Glock knock off.....or a "Glock off" lol

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I've owned and shot the SW9ve and the sw40ve. Had no problems with either one. I actually liked the stiffer trigger better than my Glock (Blasphemy to some....) I believe the SD40ve is an upgraded version with a better trigger and standard rail. It ought to be a pretty decent pistol. I'd say to go for it.

undeRGRound

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    I'm trying to get my first concealed carry, but my budget is kind of limited. I'm really looking for a .40 and came across the Smith and Wesson SD40VE for a little under $400. All the reviews I've read seem to indicate that it is a great gun, but due to the price I'm a little skeptical that maybe this is too good to be true. Thoughts?

That's not even a great price!!! We have a place here in TH
    That has one for lots less...

Smith and Wesson
    SD40VE 40SW 4 inch

Item Condition: Factory New

MSRP - $379.00
    Our Price - $317.40

So don't get burnt on that price, 379 is MSRP.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I bought one for my wife last year and she really likes it! I've shot it some and it's a good gun. She put about four hundred rounds through it last October in one day with not a single malfunction. It's almost identical in size to my Glock 19 and this one has a decent trigger. Better than the M&P .45 I tried out recently.

My wife loves red, so I made her this kydex holster for it. She doesn't carry but I figured it'd be good for range and yard use.

null_zps714cd22c.jpg

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Nothing wrong with the S&W SD's! I carried a Sigma for quite awhile, SD is just an upgraded Sigma. The Sigma is still my bedroom gun, I think having a long heavy trigger pull is an advantage when I'm just waking up.

ttrimcobra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2013
    Lafayette
    The sd is about 9 lb trigger pull. Putting the apex kit brought it down a bit and helped with my tendecy to shoot a little low and left. nothing too crazy and again i wouldnt even give a second thought to trusting my life to it everyday. i just like my M&P trigger better, but the sd is NEVER going anywhere!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have owned quite a few semi auto pistols past and now. Glocks, Beretta, Sig Sauer, and Smith & Wesson. All worked well, some had an issue or two, but all you could depend on.

I recently acquired a SD40VE, 2 tone finish, from my nephew who became un-employed. Has 2-14rd mags(ss steel), box, papers, and a box of 40 cal target ammo. He fired exactly 2- 14rd mags of ammo, cleaned and boxed.

Gave him $325.00, and this is a nice firearm. The sights are plastic, with painted dots(Glocks do the same), great hand fit, user friendly controls, trigger is a bit stiff, you can learn to shoot it though! He did have a Fobus holster for it, included. Perfect fit, no rattle.

I am looking forward to shooting this handgun. I have fired Sigmas and don't feel they are total trash. Different is all. Very similar to the Glocks I carried for over 18yrs as a Deputy Marshal. By the way, I carry a Glock 19 every day, as a retired LEO.

It is your choice, there are more expensive ways to go, I don't think you will make a mistake. See if you can fire a rental or attend an INGO shoot, test firing confirms the trigger pull(they are long compared to a Glock), and gives you a chance to talk them up. The shoots seem like a good way to meet people, and handle different firearms. Most of the guys seem like dedicated shooters and will give you a lot of info in a short time.

I read a lot of Sigma bashing, but there are opinions on everything.Will continue to make my own opinion based on facts.

Good Luck on your decision.

Top Bottom