• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Well, I talked myself into it and will be picking it up tomorrow. Now I just need to accessorize it! Where to begin? Any suggestions? Mags are a must and Profire will be getting a call for ammo to fill the mags. Any optic recommendations? I'm not a huge Aimpoint fan.

Thanks INGO.

INcountryboy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Connersville
    It looks like you beat me to it!! I was considering that one as well. Let me know how it shoots because I'm still trying to decide whether to get the standard, scout squad, or socom 16 model. Enjoy the new M1A!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have several M1As and have tried various mounting systems on them. On my Socom and Scout I took the mounts off and put ventilated hand guards on them. I just never liked the way any optics looked on them. On my NM I have an ARMS low profile mount on it and it keeps the scope low and I don't need to use a cheek pad to get a good sight picture. I didn't like any of the SA mounts or a couple others I've tried. After saying all of that if you did want optics and don't like red dots I'd probably go with a 1-4x EER scope. There are a few out there to choose from. Post pics when you get it. They are great rifles! :yesway:

Oh, A certain Monkey I won't name got my SOCOM and I sure miss that rifle. It was my favorite M1A but I needed to come up with some $$ quickly and he helped me out. I'll trade for another one someday, hopefully.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The first accessory to buy is 1,000 rounds of ammo.

My suggestion is to put 500 rounds downrange before you add anything to it.

You never know, it could be perfect "as is". Most rifles are.

This rifle is ideal for a forward mounted scope. If it doesn't already have one, they are available from Springfield. It bolts right to the barrel under the handguard. I would not bother with a receiver mounted scope or optic.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    First I would recomend some good ear protection. Those suckers are LOUD! My SOCOM 16 makes my ears ring even wearing ear plugs.

Still its alot of fun to shoot and very accuate out of the box.

Great choice.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont think i would go with a reddot at all. if you get a 1-4 scope that is a true 1x and is illuinated you can use it very similar to a reddot when its on 1x, then crank it up to 4x when you want to shoot a little further.

for instance if you look at this scope and reticle

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ MOA (Uncapped)

the 22 moa circle in the center illuminates so you can run it like a dot on 1x, then zoom in for other uses. i actually have a few of these instock right now if your interetesed

RTM15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    I did the same thing. I could not resist buying the socom 2 rifle. My plan is to throw an Aimpoint on top.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Sage EBR Mod 0

IMG_6650.jpg

Last edited:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I have a Millett DMS-1 on my AR that will be getting replace with an ACOG soon....hopefully. (As long as she doesn't find out what a ACOG costs) I'm just not sure if thats what I want to use. Possibly something with a little more magnification? 2-7x???

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a Millett DMS-1 on my AR that will be getting replace with an ACOG soon....hopefully. (As long as she doesn't find out what a ACOG costs) I'm just not sure if thats what I want to use. Possibly something with a little more magnification? 2-7x???

have you looked at the 2.5-10 pst? i have one coming in used in a few days, or i have plenty of new ones

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    First I would recomend some good ear protection. Those suckers are LOUD! My SOCOM 16 makes my ears ring even wearing ear plugs.

Still its alot of fun to shoot and very accuate out of the box.

Great choice.

Beat me to it. Get 'em (ear plugs) for you and all your friends. It's plenty loud.

I spent my optic money on ammo. It's that much fun and the extra ammo let me put it through it's paces. I haven't missed the optics and it's been a ton of fun at a few multi-gun matches. Enjoy your rifle.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    You beat me to it......enjoy and let use know how it shoots! I'm totally jealous. Form the pics it appeared to be a safe queen and price right.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Safe queen it was. Not a mark on it or a round thru it! I will be changeing the round count significantly soon.:D

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Definitely go with VLTOR Modstock. You can put any AR-type grip on it and you can adjust the cheekweld. Very durable and light(USGI fiberglass stock modified). Sages and Troy stocks are way too heavy for what the SOCOM is intended for. If you want a Scope mount, these can't be beat:Bassett M14/M1A Scope Mounts
    I am currently running a Vortex Strikefire on mine with great results.

picture.php

Top Bottom