• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Finished up my Saiga 12 conversion today. I think I have about 6 hours of work in it over 2 days, only because I was out of dremel cut off wheels.

anyway, build includes Chaos railed handguards, MD Arms Molot style grip, MD arms gas plug, K-Var US warsaw stock, tapco trigger/disconnect, and AK-builder riveted trigger guard w/ grip reinforcement plate.

I think it turned out pretty good. Right now its got a satin black pray job to cover up the bare metal, and eventually Ill get it refinished in a moly coat. :)

Now I just need to figure out what to do for sights. HK maybe?

saiga12.jpg

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Looks like your pistol grip is not seated all the way; you got a receiver reinforcement plate under it or something?

The Chaos rails are heavy, but very nice. And made in Indiana, to boot! :yesway:

How did you address the "leftover" holes from the sporter trigger assembly? Conversion looks very clean.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Looks like your pistol grip is not seated all the way; you got a receiver reinforcement plate under it or something?

The Chaos rails are heavy, but very nice. And made in Indiana, to boot! :yesway:

How did you address the "leftover" holes from the sporter trigger assembly? Conversion looks very clean.

Yeah, its got a receiver reinforcment plate, and the MD grip is bigger than the plate. Eventually Ill make filler to close up the gap.

I welded the extra holes up, filed and blended them with the receiver. Im starting to get pretty good at it. Must be all that body work crap I used to "enjoy" ;)

and thanks!

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    get the chaos hk sights made for the rail...if mammynun shows up maybe you can talk him into posting a picture of his....sahhhhhweeeet

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thanks! The MD Arms gas plug was all mine needed to be 100% with low brass. This thing is a 'blast' to shoot!!

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    that'd be a lot of work to cut the rail back, weld the sight to the front, then weld one on the rear cover. Keep in mind that the dust cover mounted sights barely hold a zero. I don't think techsights makes an s12 version. I put magpul sights on my chaos rail and they work great, but you need the large cheek extension.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The metal working aspect is what I really like the most about working with guns. Its really not that bad once you have the tools and have figured out what your doing. I bet I could have HK sights installed in 3 or 4 hours tops. I also like to keep iron sights as low to the bore as possible, so thats another reason I want them on the dust cover. Regardless of where you put them, on an AK variant, there isn't a great place. The rail is connected directly to the gas block, which is pinned to the barrel, and the dust cover is "loose", but for a shot gun, it will be good enough. ;) Hell, who knows, I may have them! ;)

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    that'd be a lot of work to cut the rail back, weld the sight to the front, then weld one on the rear cover. Keep in mind that the dust cover mounted sights barely hold a zero. I don't think techsights makes an s12 version. I put magpul sights on my chaos rail and they work great, but you need the large cheek extension.

Keep a good zero... with HK sights on a... SHOTGUN?

What are you looking for, match grade precision? They'll do what they're supposed to do just fine. They'll also "hold zero" just fine, that's only an issue if you start mounting a bunch of heavy garbage to the dust cover, like a scope. If you want slug throwing precision, get a PK-AS or a Rakurz, and with their proper mounts too, none of this weaver rail, or centered side mount garbage.

I like the PKAS and left eye sighting, personally, then just using the irons for what ever else.
    24fbbz8.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom