• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The AK Forum - View topic - New ATF "Study" on Shotgun Importability

For those who aren't AKF members, it's a thread from a guy/company importing a sporterized version of the Saiga-12 ver. 030, who had a sit-down with ATF recently about the implications of their shotgun "study" on the guns he is importing.

The jist of the conversation was that if a shotgun doesn't have any of the "evil" features listed, it is good to go for importation – this includes the regular Saiga-12 we have come to know and love.

Other points:

• The ATF is already operating under the assumption that the recommendations of the "study" will be adopted, and is moving to block importation of shotguns with "evil" features

• If/when the recommendations of the "study" are adopted, Saiga-12s could be imported in a pistol-grip configuration with a fixed stock... no more conversions! :rockwoot:

• Shotguns that accept large-capacity mags are OK for importation, as long as they don't have any of the "evil" features, and the large-capacity mags are not imported (either with the gun, or separately). Since nobody is bringing in the Russian 8rd Saiga-12 mags for commercial resale, no problem.

• The Saiga-12 ver. 030 will be prohibited from further importation beyond the current batch, due to it having a section of rail under the FSB/gas block (which evidently turns it into an evil baby-killing machine, right indykid?).

So, some mixed news there, and of course "anything is possible," but it doesn't look like this latest move by ATF is going to be the end of the world for Saiga fans. :yesway:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Thank god. Though this kinda puts a damper on my 030 project that i sold my other one for. Ahh well.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Now, if the local gunshops I stop into would stop telling customers they were going to be banned within the next (insert short time here), they might get some of my respect back... :rolleyes: Anything for a buck... (and multiple stores too...)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I would love to own a Saiga 12 one of these days. I guess the angry Email I sent the ATF helped some:D. although a ban might make it so some of our beloved US manufacturers would start making a detachable box mag version...

dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    • The ATF is already operating under the assumption that the recommendations of the "study" will be adopted, and is moving to block importation of shotguns with "evil" features

• If/when the recommendations of the "study" are adopted, Saiga-12s could be imported in a pistol-grip configuration with a fixed stock... no more conversions! :rockwoot:

• Shotguns that accept large-capacity mags are OK for importation, as long as they don't have any of the "evil" features, and the large-capacity mags are not imported (either with the gun, or separately). Since nobody is bringing in the Russian 8rd Saiga-12 mags for commercial resale, no problem.

• The Saiga-12 ver. 030 will be prohibited from further importation beyond the current batch, due to it having a section of rail under the FSB/gas block (which evidently turns it into an evil baby-killing machine, right indykid?).

The second point seems to contradict the other three...

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    168479_1581666066512_1381519105_31217221_4000032_n.jpg

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    I'm glad i'm not the only one scratching my head. :dunno:

Add me to the scratching my head group. Don't get the "no more conversions"... Unless that's a reference to not having to convert the standard stock to a pistol grip stock because all the newly imported ones will have pistol grip?!

I think it's too bad these would even be questioned to start with... Afterall, wasn't it just in the news that Obama wants to push for less restrictive trade with Russia? I say kick it off by importing enough Saiga 12 shotguns that the price drops to $200 each. Then the Russians could afford designer blue jeans and loafs of bread and I could easily afford to make those woodchucks stop chucking my wood. :ar15:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The second point seems to contradict the other three...

How so? The ATF [STRIKE]farce[/STRIKE] study specifically states that pistol grips are OK on "sporting" shotguns. That is, they are not among the list of "evil" features that would prohibit such a gun from importation.

Don't get the "no more conversions"... Unless that's a reference to not having to convert the standard stock to a pistol grip stock because all the newly imported ones will have pistol grip?!

Yes, that was what I was referring to.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I don't know where you got your information but my cousin's half-brother's Hasidic father-in-law said he heard from a reputable gun shop they were banning these outright, and killing the firstborn of anyone who owns one.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Hey Drew i saw your red jacket shirts on "sons of guns" the other night and they look great! Hopefully i can come up with a cool idea for juggernaut graphics to make into a shirt. I hate price gougers. S12's are the most fun gun ever. my thoughts are random and i apologize I'm drunk as hell. And with that i'm out! Respect the futon.

Top Bottom