• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I dunno... I kind of enjoy the clean-up afterwards. It's fun to take everything apart, get it back into pristine condition, and put it all back together like Smooth Charlene. Plus, Hoppe's is like potpourri for the man cave. :)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Chez likes his guns dirty.

Like my women... Frequently used, well-lubed, dirty, and locked up until needed.
    icon_biggrin.gif

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    IMHO, a clean gun is a happy gun.

Cleaning my firearms frequently:

1) Increases my familiarity with them.
    2) Improves my proficiency with teardown and reassembly.
    3) Allows me to check for changes in condition.
    4) Gives me a chance to break out all the cool cleaning equipment and supplies.
    5) Ensures that they are good to go when I need/want them to be.

If my firearm is good for say 2,000 rounds before a failure due to grime and I clean it when it gets to 1,900 rounds then at least part of the time it is only good for 100 rounds. If I clean it after every range trip then it is usually good for 1,800 rounds (or 2,000 minus however many I shot that day). I prefer being in the latter situation.

Sure, if I just fire a few test rounds and plan to shoot again the next day then I might wait but that is the exception rather than the rule. My definition of "a few" is much lower for a long gun than it is for a handgun. I was taught to clean the firearms after use as a youth and it has always been part of the process. Putting the gun away dirty just feels like putting a greasy wrench back in the toolbox without wiping it down. :twocents:

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This reminds me I need to take down allll my guns and clean them since I shot all of them last Saturday and they all could use cleaning. I'll probably wait until next Saturday to do it though.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    IMHO, a clean gun is a happy gun.

Cleaning my firearms frequently:

1) Increases my familiarity with them.
    2) Improves my proficiency with teardown and reassembly.
    3) Allows me to check for changes in condition.
    4) Gives me a chance to break out all the cool cleaning equipment and supplies.
    5) Ensures that they are good to go when I need/want them to be.

If my firearm is good for say 2,000 rounds before a failure due to grime and I clean it when it gets to 1,900 rounds then at least part of the time it is only good for 100 rounds. If I clean it after every range trip then it is usually good for 1,800 rounds (or 2,000 minus however many I shot that day). I prefer being in the latter situation.

Sure, if I just fire a few test rounds and plan to shoot again the next day then I might wait but that is the exception rather than the rule. My definition of "a few" is much lower for a long gun than it is for a handgun. I was taught to clean the firearms after use as a youth and it has always been part of the process. Putting the gun away dirty just feels like putting a greasy wrench back in the toolbox without wiping it down. :twocents:

Well said...

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not sure what the misunderstanding was. I'd rather shoot them than clean them.

I actually do enjoy the time cleaning them and increasing my familiarization with each one. The issue was that I took out 11 toys to play with on Saturday. LOTS of cleaning that I will have to finish next weekend. Two of them had never been cleaned by me (fairly recent acquisitions) and as I was cleaning them I realized each required detail level cleanings. One looked like it may have never been cleaned. On the comment about some guns needing repair after each use...I did need to replace 2 recoils buffers. :-)

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Well, at least you got to go. I had to cancel my weekend trip down to the farm around Bedford. Had to take the wife to the ER early Sat. because of a fall she took earlier in the week. Good news is she will be OK, but my trigger finger is very disappointed.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    rem oil wipes in the round canister for wiping the outside quick and easy. Bore snakes with kroil squirted on them for quick bore fouling removal (powder, lead, ) and lubing. I usually leave the traces of copper in their till the yearly after hunting seasons over deep cleaning.

Top Bottom