• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    I picked up a PlumCrazy polymer lower today, and I don't have any specific plans for it, but I'm thinking about using it for a light & short SBR. So, when the receiver's polymer, where and how do you need to engrave it?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    If I was building an SBR I wouldn't use a PlumCrazy lower. With the extra money and the tax stamp involved I'd want it on a metal lower. Just my two cents.

Thread jack over.

Last edited:

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    If I was building an SBR I wouldn't use a Plumcrazy lower. With the extra money and the tax stamp involved I'd want it on a metal lower. Just my two cents.

Thread jack over.
    :+1:

What he said!!!

Your lower takes a crap it is gonna cost you another tax stamp!!

Revopop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Evansville, the Shallow South
    I haven't decided yet if I will, & I probably won't, but for now I just wanna know what the procedure is for engraving a poly lower. If nothing else it'll answer the question for somebody searching for it later.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IIRC, the only marking required to be in metal is the SN, that is why you see Cav lowers, and polymer handguns with a metal SN tag.

All other maker info can be engraved into anything, so pretty much just the same as any other AR lower.

The good thing about engraving a polymer lower though is that your standard "etching" power laser should be able to engrave to the proper depth. So you don't have to search for anybody special to engrave your lower, take it to any place that does laser engraving/etching and tell them what you want.

Although, one precaution, many places probably won't really know what power to set their laser to in order to actually engrave to depth because most of their business is just etch work. It may take a couple tries, and you may have to provide the necessary instrumentation to measure the depth if they aren't capable of measuring it.

Just my thoughts...

SCriswell

Plinker
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    you do ot have to put any special markings on a sbr. I bult one a few years ago and used the RRA markings and serial number and it cleared atf with no problems.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    ^^^^^^^^^^Not True^^^^^^^^^^^
    I order for you sbr to be legal you must have engraved your name city and state in to it if you are doing a form 1, at a depth of 0.003".

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    you do ot have to put any special markings on a sbr. I bult one a few years ago and used the RRA markings and serial number and it cleared atf with no problems.
    What do you mean it cleared ATF?

I challenge any person that makes the above statement to take a photograph of their lower's lack of engraving, and send it, along with a certified letter to the ATF telling them that you don't think it is legally required to engrave your SBR lower with your maker information. Tell them that if they feel differently they can come get you.

If they send a letter back that says you don't have to engrave it, I will pay your postage fees and expenses for the certified letter.

Otherwise, I'll contribute $1 to your fund for legal council for your defense in court.

Would you accept that challenge? If you truly feel that it's 100% legal to make an SBR on a Form 1 and not add any maker markings then you wouldn't have a problem with the above challenge.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Ill kick a buck in for that too. I was always alway told by everyone (including the nice lady at the NFA) that I needed to engrave SBRs.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Wrong.....you are the manufacturer of the SBR, not RRA. Your info must be engraved on the receiver or barrel. There was a thread about this over at AR15.com that just got locked/deleted, you the same guy???

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    On your Form 1, you WOULD use RRA's info, since you are making the SBR out of an existing firearm. However, you are still the maker of the SBR, and as the maker, you are required to engrave YOUR info on the receiver.

Tonyk, a well-respected mod on the Class III section of ar15.com personally knows of two people who had run-ins with the ATF for not engraving their lowers. They were both machine guns. In one case, the ATF told the owner they had x-amount of days to get it engraved and send in proof, and in the other case, the ATF confiscated the firearm and engraved it FOR him with an electropen. =(

Get the engraving done!

Top Bottom