• ...and so much more!
  • top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    have looked and read here on ingo, but didn't see when engraving name, etc. on sbr, only is on lower. can i assume that a lower is committed to being a sbr but the upper can be switched out to any other sbr, or are both required to be branded to the committed lower. and by the identification on the lower, can it not be ever committed back to a long barrel.

only thinking about this right now, but really dont want a committed lower to one upper.

daryll

(edit) obviously for an ar 15.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Yes, you typically only engrave the lower as it is the controller part. In essence it is the firearm, and you can make any change you would like to it (barrel length, upper, caliber, lower parts, etc) as long as you are able to return it to the original configuration that you filed your papers on (overall length, barrel length, caliber). If you would like to make a "permanent" change, you can file a form, otherwise you can make any temporary change that you would like.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Maybe I read this differently. Are you asking if you get a lower engraved and registered if you can swap out your sbr upper to a different lower?
    The way I interpreted it was that if they engrave the lower, can they put a *different* short barrel on it [i.e. a different upper].

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Only the serial # has to be on the lower. The rest of the info can be on the barrel if you wish. The down-side is that you have to re-engrave the barrel of every other upper you wish to put on your SBR lower. That is why most people just do the lower.

And yes, you can put a long barrel on your upper at anytime as long as you retain the ability to return it to the "registered configuration". As a matter of fact, you can put a long barrel on, leave the short barrel at home, and take the gun anywhere you would just like a normal rifle. You can even cross state lines with it without doing any special paperwork etc as you normally would have to do.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Yes, you typically only engrave the lower as it is the controller part. In essence it is the firearm, and you can make any change you would like to it (barrel length, upper, caliber, lower parts, etc) as long as you are able to return it to the original configuration that you filed your papers on (overall length, barrel length, caliber). If you would like to make a "permanent" change, you can file a form, otherwise you can make any temporary change that you would like.

The ATF only REQUESTS that you notify them of a permanent change. There is no requirement to, and ATF has no regulatory power to force you to comply. It's probably a good idea, so the registry accurately reflects the state of your firearm, but it is not required.

Also, there is no form. You just send them a letter with the specifics.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    As long as all your short uppers, that ever go on non pistol lowers or are not in a machine gun etc., are marked - you should be good to go. Of course any non pistol lower that a short upper is on, has to show up on a Form 1 / Form 4 OR be a machine gun (i.e at that time by using some type conversion device such as a RLL or DIAS).

Unlike a machine gun, the "lower" (aka receiver on an AR) is not the controlled part, instead a SBR is a "system" or "collection" of the short barrel, receiver etc. Thus I am thinking of making my MM23eK a SBR (when it has the short barrel in it ;-), so it is a Tittle II firearm owned by the same company that owns the HK sear. However, if I only mark the barrel, once one pops the long barrel back in, it becomes for the day, a Tittle I firearm that another non owner of the company can use ..... Ya too much details and room for oops ... but is an idea and reason to mark the barrel ;-)

http://www.556beltfed.com

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    As long as all your short uppers, that ever go on non pistol lowers or are not in a machine gun etc., are marked - you should be good to go. Of course any non pistol lower that a short upper is on, has to show up on a Form 1 / Form 4 OR be a machine gun (i.e at that time by using some type conversion device such as a RLL or DIAS).

Unlike a machine gun, the "lower" (aka receiver on an AR) is not the controlled part, instead a SBR is a "system" or "collection" of the short barrel, receiver etc. Thus I am thinking of making my MM23eK a SBR (when it has the short barrel in it ;-), so it is a Tittle II firearm owned by the same company that owns the HK sear. However, if I only mark the barrel, once one pops the long barrel back in, it becomes for the day, a Tittle I firearm that another non owner of the company can use ..... Ya too much details and room for oops ... but is an idea and reason to mark the barrel ;-)

http://www.556beltfed.com

So are you claiming that any spare short uppers you have need to be marked? There's no requirement to do this.

Also, why do you think marking the barrel has any relevance to a temporary return to Title I status? It doesn't matter what's marked on the lower, if the lower doesn't have a short barrel on it, it's not an SBR.

Top Bottom