• ...and so much more!
  • unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Hello All

I was looking into making an ar pistol with the intent of SBR'ing it under a trust. My question is in regards to the barrel length. Basically, I want to make an m4 clone. Is the 14.5" barrel allowed on the pistol config? Or would I be better off just buying an SBR straight out? I've read somewhere on the interwebs ether that barrel lengths commonly used on rifles are not allowed on pistols.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Hello All

I was looking into making an ar pistol with the intent of SBR'ing it under a trust. My question is in regards to the barrel length. Basically, I want to make an m4 clone. Is the 14.5" barrel allowed on the pistol config? Or would I be better off just buying an SBR straight out? I've read somewhere on the interwebs ether that barrel lengths commonly used on rifles are not allowed on pistols.

If you are going to go with a 14.5" barrel the only reason I can think of for going the SBR route would be if you didn't want to pin/weld the flash suppressor/brake. As far as I know you can put what ever length barrel you want on a pistol.

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Efiles with trusts are coming back pretty fast right now. I don't know that I'd bother with building up the pistol. Just spend the $200 for the stamp and wait. My last two (from mid August) came back in 17 days. I'm a little over that on the ones I'm waiting for now but I'm hoping for this week. I think the whole "efile an MG" thing slowed down the ATF a little....

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I rather not pin and weld. I do plan on mounting a suppressor and I'd like to keep my options open

If you know which suppressor you are going to get, do they offer it in a quick detach version. If so just pin the quick detach muzzle attachment and be done with it.... Thats what I would do I If I were building a 14.5" rifle with no plans on ever going with a smaller barrel length. But if you ever want to go to a shorter barrel or have options for surpressors, I agree with the others, SBR it.

Ohh and to answer your original question, yes you can have any length barrel on your AR pistol.

Somewhat off subject, but with a 14.5" barrel and overall length this might come up. I know with AR pistols, you can switch it to a rifle and then back to a pistol, since that was the original configuration. Does anyone know, if you build your stripped lower as a firearm originally (OAL > 26", but no buttstock and with a pistol buffer tube), switch it to a rifle, can you change that rifle into a pistol? Or since it started its life as a firearm (and not a pistol), it can only be swapped back to a firearm, after becoming a rifle. I know its probably a retarded question.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If you know which suppressor you are going to get, do they offer it in a quick detach version. If so just pin the quick detach muzzle attachment and be done with it.... Thats what I would do I If I were building a 14.5" rifle with no plans on ever going with a smaller barrel length. But if you ever want to go to a shorter barrel or have options for surpressors, I agree with the others, SBR it.

Ohh and to answer your original question, yes you can have any length barrel on your AR pistol.

Somewhat off subject, but with a 14.5" barrel and overall length this might come up. I know with AR pistols, you can switch it to a rifle and then back to a pistol, since that was the original configuration. Does anyone know, if you build your stripped lower as a firearm originally (OAL > 26", but no buttstock and with a pistol buffer tube), switch it to a rifle, can you change that rifle into a pistol? Or since it started its life as a firearm (and not a pistol), it can only be swapped back to a firearm, after becoming a rifle. I know its probably a retarded question.

Anyone thinking of doing this should check with the suppressor manufacturer. Permanently attaching their muzzle devices usually voids the warranty.

Top Bottom