• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Saw this article in the IndyStar about the upcoming law legalizing short barreled shotguns. It says in the article that the short barrel shotguns must be made by a licensed manufacturer...not just sawed off by the owner...in order to be legal.

Can anyone confirm or deny if this is true?

Sawed-off shotguns legal in Indiana on July 1

if it is true....there goes my plan to hack off my Mossy 500

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You can still do it with a form 1. The media has blown this way out of proportion (as usual). First they said "sawed off shotguns" will be legal on July 1st. No other info at all. A day or so later the stated "It's illegal to just cut the barrel yourself."

They have no clue. They just want to stir people up. I spent a bit of time on out local news channels FB pages on this story explaining what you can and can't do legally.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I still haven't found a better host for my SBS than my old Stoeger double barrel 12 gauge. Maybe I'll just have that cut down. I haven't pulled it out of the safe in 4 or 5 years, so it's not like I use it often anyway.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I still haven't found a better host for my SBS than my old Stoeger double barrel 12 gauge. Maybe I'll just have that cut down. I haven't pulled it out of the safe in 4 or 5 years, so it's not like I use it often anyway.
    I've found a few possible candidates online. I don't want to chop up an expensive gun, but at the same time I don't want my SBS to be junk after the $200 tax stamp.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm doing a Tromix S17, had the gun converted years ago except for the barrel being cut down. The barrel is already threaded back where it will be cut off for the shark brake, it will have a 7 1/2" barrel

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So just how short are those of you who are going the route going to make your barrels? 10"? 8"?

For SXS, I always liked the look of them when they are cut just ahead of the forend. I'll have to measure where that will end up on my Stoeger (plus that's a tad bit less woodworking needed, if you can leave the forend alone).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think that enforcement and interpretations of this law will get really crazy in a hurry.

The whole short barrel shotgun/ handgun business was always tricky. Several turn of the century companies made .410, smooth bore handguns. Seem like they are legal if your family member bought them new, but had to have the tax stamp if they were transfered out of your family. They come up on estate sales every once and a while.

I had a .410/45 Colt barrel for my Tompson Contender. Maybe 10 inches long. As I remember it was legal with the pistol grip and illegal with a butt stock, which was only legal with a 16 inch barrel. It got really iffy. It was really fun to have a buddy toss clay targets in the air and blast them down with a handgun. Harder than it looks, 3 hits out of 5 was pretty good.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I just dropped my Stoeger SXS 12ga off for the Mad Max SBS treatment at ZR Tactical (and then Form 4ing it back to my trust). I guess I better find some nice ultra-low recoil shells for it.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I just dropped my Stoeger SXS 12ga off for the Mad Max SBS treatment at ZR Tactical (and then Form 4ing it back to my trust). I guess I better find some nice ultra-low recoil shells for it.

You must have been the guy right in front of me last night then. I was in to get some engraving done on a Ti tube.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You must have been the guy right in front of me last night then. I was in to get some engraving done on a Ti tube.

Most likely. :D

Zack already filed the Form 2, so it looks like the barrel length will be right at 12" (to answer the earlier question of how short it will be), which gets it just past the forearm.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You have to work it with some degree of 'authority', but it's treating me pretty well. I've even got the +2 loading down.

I'm glad you are liking it. I owned one a few years back and I really, really wanted to love it. I love the styling. But it ejected shells directly into my face (maybe a left handed thing) and I never found it very comfortable to shoot. So, with a heavy heart, I sold it off.

Top Bottom