• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I hate to do this because I know I already read the answer on here somewhere. I stumbled across it once before, but couldn't find it again with the search function so if someone would be so kind as to post a link to the thread and/or post, that'd be great.

I know in Indiana, the only NFA weapon not legal in Indiana is a Short Barrel Shotgun. How does the NFA define a SBS? Is that any different from how Indiana defines it?

Thanks.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    From 18 USC 921:

(5) The term "shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned,
    made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and
    designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an
    explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball
    shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
    (6) The term "short-barreled shotgun" means a shotgun having one
    or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon
    made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or
    otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of
    less than twenty-six inches.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    From the Indiana Code:

IC 35-47-1-10
    "Sawed-off shotgun"
    Sec. 10. "Sawed-off shotgun" means:
    (1) a shotgun having one (1) or more barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length; and
    (2) any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IC 35-47-1-11
    "Shotgun"
    Sec. 11. "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

They basically define them the same way.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Just a side note, the search function on here is not the greatest, not INGO's fault, it's vbulletin. If you want to search for something on INGO use Google(or any other search engine) and type site:ingunowners.com sbs or whatever you want to search.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/120333-dd_illegal_now.html

This is an excellent thread about SBS, in which I out myself as a bit of an obtuse ass.

A lot of info in there about DD's, but I think it helps in my subtext question...

Is a pistol grip type shotgun that doesn't have, nor did it ever have a stock in any way shape or form, that has an 18" barrel, but not an overall length of 26" still considered a sawed-off shotgun?

Or perhaps...
    IC 35-47-1-11
    "Shotgun"
    Sec. 11. "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

Since the weapon is/was never designed or made to be fired from the shoulder not classify it as a "shotgun?" Is this where the big fuss over them becoming a DD comes into play?
    Mossbergcruiser.jpg

Top Bottom