Indianapolis, IN 46219
    www.in.gov/isp
    FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt​

Sgt. John Perrine
    Public Information Officer
    317-899-8287
    DATE: January 31, 2023​

Scam Alert From The Indiana State Police Post in Indianapolis​

Indianapolis, IN - The Indiana State Police Indianapolis Post recently received several complaints from of a phone scam. ISP receives numerous reports of phone scams each year, but this scam has drawn specific attention to the area.
    The scammers have called with the Caller ID showing “Indiana State Police Post 52.” The phone number displayed is 317-899-8577, which is the phone number to the post. The scammers identify themselves as police officers and indicate to the caller there is a warrant for their arrest. The scammer then tries to obtain personal information and request financial restitution to take care of the warrant. Scams like this with “spoofed” Indiana State Police phone numbers have happened across Indiana with scams ranging from telling the victim their identity has been stolen, selling insurance or attempts to raise money for false charities.
    The Indiana State Police would remind all Hoosiers that these types of phone scammers are pervasive and technically savvy. Scammers will often play on your emotions and fears to get to your money.
    The easiest way to protect yourself from being scammed over the phone is either to ignore unsolicited calls from unknown callers or just hang up when something doesn’t seem right.
    You should NEVER provide any information over the phone to an unknown caller regarding your personal identity, social security number, bank account(s), or credit card number(s).
    If in doubt, or if you feel you may have fallen victim to a phone scammer, just hang up and immediately report the incident to your local law enforcement agency.

yotehunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 2, 2021
    Not Iraq
    Or even better: When the "police" demand you drive to Walmart and get various gift cards (and then read off the codes to them), it's totally a legitimate way to stay out of jail.

I really, really don't understand why people are so naive.
    I once got a text message from my ceo saying he was in a meeting and needed something from me. I didn't have his number in my phone at the time either. Anyways, The message said he needed gift cards for an important project and to use my company card for them.

I just so happened to be in a meeting with the actual ceo, and sent a pic of him giving a thumbs up. Its a shame I never heard back.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I once got a text message from my ceo saying he was in a meeting and needed something from me. I didn't have his number in my phone at the time either. Anyways, The message said he needed gift cards for an important project and to use my company card for them.

I just so happened to be in a meeting with the actual ceo, and sent a pic of him giving a thumbs up. Its a shame I never heard back.
    One of our associates got the scam e-mail about the gift cards supposedly sent by our managing partner....he fell for it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I had one of these calls a few years ago.
    Good times.
    Told him to go ahead and send the cop. I didn't have the money anyway.
    And I'm quite sure I outgun him.

Was told he wasn't joking.
    Okay, neither am I.
    Send him right now.

hehe

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I had one of these calls a few years ago.
    Good times.
    Told him to go ahead and send the cop. I didn't have the money anyway.
    And I'm quite sure I outgun him.

Was told he wasn't joking.
    Okay, neither am I.
    Send him right now.

hehe
    Should've told him he has a warrant out for his arrest for screwing goats. They have him on surveillance tape.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Should've told him he has a warrant out for his arrest for screwing goats. They have him on surveillance tape.
    I’ve used similar lines with scammers, just with non-INGO approved wordage. They usually come back with some variant of the same reply of “America sucks and we are going to kill you all.”

Good times.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sometimes I "play" when they call. Had a guy call and tell me I will receive a large sum of money. I proceeded to tell him that I already received it and how much it has changed my life and how thankful I was.

He hung up.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom