• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    I have been seeing does the last 3 weekends I've been hunting my family's land in Brown County, but nothing comes into range. My neighbor here in Indy recommended I use some scent attractant to draw them into range. I'm really just trying to draw does in, not really a big buck. Anyone have any experience with scent attractants that they would recommend?

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How far are you trying to draw them in from? If you are consistantly seeing them in a spot out of range, then maybe you have your stand in the wrong place. I like multiple stand locations to play the wind and adjust to the deer movement, also use a climber in places where I don't have a permanent stand. Drawing in does with scent is alot harder to do than drawing in a rutty buck with scent. That being said, it's not impossible. I've heard of people using vanilla extact. Deer are naturally curious animals. Good luck!

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    Well, the deer usually pass through or on the edge of this half acre area where my stand is located. The area is part hill side, part hill top with plenty of trees and brush. I tend to see them next to my stand when I walk to it but never when I am in it. I do scent control on my clothes but just want to peak their curiosity to come in range, which is within 25 yards. What I had in mind was possibly something I could pick up at Gander. I haven't been able to pattern their movement through this area either.

Jacobm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Newton County
    I don't know how far away they are but you may be able to try a fawn bleat or fawn distress call.

Whatever you try, let us know how it works. Good luck

Last edited:

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Deer Scents and Home of the Double Scent Stack

Brownie and I both have deer on this website...2009-2010 season.

Smell like a deer and Hot Doe are the only scents I use period.

I have a doe on video sniffing the air and following the trail I walked in on, I had Smell Like a Deer on my boots. Just saying, the guy lives by New Castle, it is made locally, it can be bought locally, and it just plain works great.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    Deer Scents and Home of the Double Scent Stack

Brownie and I both have deer on this website...2009-2010 season.

Smell like a deer and Hot Doe are the only scents I use period.

I have a doe on video sniffing the air and following the trail I walked in on, I had Smell Like a Deer on my boots. Just saying, the guy lives by New Castle, it is made locally, it can be bought locally, and it just plain works great.

can i get this stuff at the outdoorsman or gander in castleton?

nvmd, just found the dealers list.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I suggest Hoosier Trapper Supply scents. I use the Lip Licker which works for both doe/buck. Then as rut approaches the whitetail doe in heat.

They are local on the SE side of Indy. I have only been hunting for 4 years now but the last two seasons I have seen more deer than the first two. That due to experience and help from INGO members but I see the deer go to the wicks and smell so I know it works.

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    I second Hoosier Trapper Supply. Lip licker, doe urine, doe in heat, and buck urine with tarsal gland. I love lip licker, thinking about using it as cologne for myself!:D Been using their products for along time.

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    How good is Smell Like a Deer & the scent eliminator Mastin sells compared to other stuff on the market?

Heres the deal....

If 3 out of 5 people are using Tinks per say, then if they ever get spooked while having that scent somehow associated with it, then every time they smell it they will be on edge again.

If you have something that doesn't smell like anyone else, it has a calming effect and they have no reason to associate fear with it.

I will vouch that it works, I have seen several deer just become absolutely obsessed with it. They can't help but see who the stranger is.

Also, it doesn't contain natural deer urine, so it won't spoil on you.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    I suggest Hoosier Trapper Supply scents. I use the Lip Licker which works for both doe/buck. Then as rut approaches the whitetail doe in heat.

They are local on the SE side of Indy. I have only been hunting for 4 years now but the last two seasons I have seen more deer than the first two. That due to experience and help from INGO members but I see the deer go to the wicks and smell so I know it works.

picked up some lip licker and doe in heat. what are these wicks you are talking about???

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    picked up some lip licker and doe in heat. what are these wicks you are talking about???

Wicks?

There are different types but basically some material to absorb the doe-in-heat or whatever you want, then you can hang them in a tree when hunting and then they come with a container to put the wick back into. Makes your scent last longer but not using as much, like just putting it on the ground. You can also drag them behind you leaving a scent trail. My dad used to make them out of plastic test tube type containers and scent free tampons - glue the tampon string to the lid. Hang them in a tree for use, then recover, put the lid on and back in the pack - without having the pack getting all smelly.

How do you like the smell of that Lip Licker??

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Wicks?

There are different types but basically some material to absorb the doe-in-heat or whatever you want, then you can hang them in a tree when hunting and then they come with a container to put the wick back into. Makes your scent last longer but not using as much, like just putting it on the ground. You can also drag them behind you leaving a scent trail. My dad used to make them out of plastic test tube type containers and scent free tampons - glue the tampon string to the lid. Hang them in a tree for use, then recover, put the lid on and back in the pack - without having the pack getting all smelly.

How do you like the smell of that Lip Licker??

Yep...they are just strips of cotton to dip your scent on and hang on a low hanging branch near your stand. Wally world has them.

I cant tell the difference in smell of lip licker vs deer pee. They both smell horrid.

TSmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Seymour
    You can't tell a difference between them, Clfergus? Smelling the lip licker from the bottle doesn't do it justice, it gets better when you put it out on something - kind of like when you put brandy or bourbon in a snifter and then smell from the glass. I love the way it (lip licker) smells. But then again I don't mind the smell of deer urine either. :D The first weekend of hunting, I was in a stand over a patch of clover, I put out some sticks to mark yardage and put some lip licker on one of those sticks. A nice buck comes out and is chowing down on the clover like there's no tomorrow. He gets to the stick and stops eating - starts smelling and circling around the stick - had hung up on that stick for a minute or two, before he goes back to eating. Also put some out in front of trail cam. It gets critters to stop and check it out. :yesway:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    You can't tell a difference between them, Clfergus? Smelling the lip licker from the bottle doesn't do it justice, it gets better when you put it out on something - kind of like when you put brandy or bourbon in a snifter and then smell from the glass. I love the way it (lip licker) smells. But then again I don't mind the smell of deer urine either. :D The first weekend of hunting, I was in a stand over a patch of clover, I put out some sticks to mark yardage and put some lip licker on one of those sticks. A nice buck comes out and is chowing down on the clover like there's no tomorrow. He gets to the stick and stops eating - starts smelling and circling around the stick - had hung up on that stick for a minute or two, before he goes back to eating. Also put some out in front of trail cam. It gets critters to stop and check it out. :yesway:

Maybe I will have to revisit the smell and have my wife put it on one night :):

It does work good though. I see the same thing when I put it out, they just hang around it once they find it.

I asked the owner what it was made out of once and I can't recall what he said exactly. Something along the lines of a canadian musk scent that has been used for 50 years...he said then they spice it up a little with their own special stuff.

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    BE CAREFUL!!!! That could unleash some primal instinct or inner beast and the outcome could be bad.:yesway::rockwoot::D:yesway::rockwoot::D:laugh::laugh::laugh: Let us know the outcome.:yesway:

haha well that's not how the guy at trapper supply told me to use it!

i haven't smelled them yet... i have heard that they are pretty bad so i haven't felt like giving them a whiff. i have some scent free dryer sheets that i'll use for wicks and stick one on a branch. can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

Top Bottom