• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I had a "Top Secret" security clearance for all of about 11 weeks, while I ran around on the flight line in Keflavic (sp?) Iceland.
    I towed F4 Phantoms back and forth from the hangers to the flight line.

One night at about 2am I was towing an F4 back to the flight line after repairs when the plane stopped dead in mid tow
    It felt like I had hit the hanger.
    When I looked back from the tug the plane was listing at a severe angle.
    Now I thought I'd forgotten the strut lock and the landing gear had folded.

Nope, wrong on both counts.
    I ran over an unmarked manhole cover and the damned thing broke!
    Imagine, a 20+ ton aircraft dropping a main landing gear into a manhole in mid tow...

A 26 ply tire popped.
    A wing mounted fuel tank was damaged and leaking.
    The landing gear door on that side was destroyed.

When I finally realized it was not my fault I was relieved to say the least.
    This was circa 1979 and I still have a piece of that manhole cover, somewhere...

Btw- my security clearance has long since expired.
    Can’t imagine what must have gone through your head!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I bit my tongue, txting with my daughter, ranting that her ex was gonna get a surprise when he volunteered to chaperone a field trip. I did NOT bring up the non-binary teacher's helper (that she defends) in her kid's kindergarten class. I was really, really close though...

:xmad:
    That would have been a tough one to hold back on.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    This one should have stayed in commiefornia

Between my beard and my voice, Irish dude is the conclusion of most. Add in my surname (which is Inavon in some places, but not really) and it leads to to the German-Irish dude conclusion ;)

Like most INGOers, you've never been about 30 seconds from being banned.

It is another way of saying, "there is nothing left to discuss" or "because I said so."

There was that guy who told me to go **** myself in an open forum. "I think we're done here" was an appropriate reply. As was the permanent ban that followed about 30 seconds later.
    Seriously, some one actually said that to you! Surprised it took you the full 30 seconds to hit the big button.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can’t imagine what must have gone through your head!
    I didn't have the worst of it.
    There was a guy in the plane "riding brakes" while it was being towed.
    When the plane stopped, I spun my head around so fast I probably should have broken my neck.
    The guy riding brakes was 20' away from the plane by the time I got turned around! :lmfao:

Reactions: wcd

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    When my daughter was at a private school they did a background check, also checked to make sure my DL was valid.

I understood as I can haul 8 in my Excursion so I was usually asked to drive for field trips.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I'm pretty sure I have had more Federal BG checks that most members here. Not just through ATF, FBI, CIA, State Dept,DSS. But also all of the Federal Buildings I worked in with Otis either with or without a GSA chaperone.
    My sons both carried/carry a Secret as a Grunt. Thing 2 had to have his redone through the State Dept and that was most likely, was redone by DSS for him to be employed with Constellis.

I understand the game here, but one shouldn't be exempt with how they are employed.
    It seems its just waiting for a failure to happen.
    Got you beat. Did an international adoption 20 some years ago.

Reactions: wcd

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Just wondering if other schools are requiring background checks for volunteers etc? I was told Friday that I may not be able to help out Tuesday at the MJMS AG Olympics at the Fair, until my background check is completed I was told by the new principal if it does not come back in time I can not help out. I tried to explain to her why that that really was not necessary . She was hearing nothing I said. At this point I asked her you are not very observant are you? Her response was a very rude we are done here!

Appears the front office lady, best friends with my wife tried to let her know she did not need to request check Unless she wanted to look like an Idiot. But being the new principal for less than a month and being from California she was listening to no one.

About an hour or so later I was told she got a call from the Superintendent asking her what she was thinking and on what level she thought it was ok to be rude to me? Granted I did not say a word, looks like I did not have to. So needless to say helping out will be no issue going forward.
    State of indiana requires it. Legislature also requires one run on faculty and staff every 3 years - even though once one is run, that group is supposed to be notified if anything changes. I assume by the background company

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My wife Is a teacher and they kind of expect free labor at events etc so I like to help out as well. Plus some of the teachers in the building can not stand me think I am an arrogant ***Hat.

so really it’s a win win.
    My wife is a teacher also and the SRO knows I was a deputy marshal so no background checks for this Korean Hillbilly! I may go back to working for .gov as we are supposed to get a bunch of Koreans at the local battery plant until they get going for 5 years or so. I'll be 65 then and done / done instead of sitting the bench for GM nowadays. My GM bennies run out Sept '24 anyhoo.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Working as a Teachers Aide after retiring I had to get checked out on my dime. Didn't really mind. Having that and a bus drivers cert got me a lot of requests to drive places.
    In the Marines I had a secret security clearance for dealing some really big weapons. It was upgraded several times to Top Secret for moving classified documents. Had a bus drivers license as well then and was tasked with driving to secure areas for carious things. Wasn't bad, got to see some neat stuff.

Don

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Its pretty common practice. I'm technically a school employee as a paid coach, so I have to get one for that, but I also coach a club sport for the youth league. It has no school affiliation, so I have to get a separate background check for that.

I also help with my daughter's field day some years. I get to decide last minute since I already have the background check done for other things.

Top Bottom