• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have an AK47, and a AK74 is on my maybe list when I get my tax money. I know Centuries can be hit and miss. Other than that, is there anything else I should stay away from? Stock style is of no big concern, as if I go that rout, I'll probably replace it. Also, where have you ordered yours, and how pleased where you with the transaction? I do not want to order one, then it wind up being a lemon.

bigjross2002

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    I own a century AK74 and have had zero problems. But then again I could be a lucky one. I think the Tantels seem like a good piece. You can always go Arsenal or another high end gun if you are really concerned about getting a lemon or not. The only problem is you can get 2 Century arms guns and some extra ammo for the price of some of the high dollar guns.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I own a century ( bought from 21st century firearm) AK-74,has a nodak spud reciever & have had zero problems with it .Does everything a AK is supposed to do,shoot reliably & is fairly accurate,also came with the trigger upgrade & chrome lined barrel.I replaced the plastic stock w/ a side folder .

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    The thing to watch for with 74's are the demilled/rebuilt ones that used 5.56 ID barrels instead of 5.45 ID barrels.

As those tend to have issues with key-holing.

gharris18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Centerfire sytems has them right now with 3 mags for 369 never had any promlem at all out of mine. I'd pick it up over either of my AR's anyday.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have one that was supposedly built by an AK expert on a Spuds receiver, forget his name right now. Got it from an INGO member last summer. It's a very good looking rifle and has an Ironwood stock set on it. Got it and a spam can of ammo but haven't shot it yet. Need to take it, my AK in .223 and my Polytech folder out an shoot em once it gets a lil warmer. :ar15:

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    The thing to watch for is that 5.45 US barrels seem to be hit and miss on whether or not they keyhole. The Century Tantals were notorious for this and Century even lists 3 different twist rates on the Tantal barrels. The 5.45 round is very sensitive to the twist rate. I have heard of some of the Century Bulgarian AK-74s also keyholing although they seem to be a lot better than the Tantals they built.

The absolute cheapest way to shoot 5.45 is the Saiga rifle. You can get them for $350 online and they are made in Russia with a chromelined barrel. The only downside is they have a relocated trigger and somewhat weird stocks. You can also get a Wasr 2 that should have a chromelined barrel but they are sometimes off a little from the factory.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm pretty sure the Saiga 5.45's are nearly impossible to find right now. I know the word last fall was that none are being imported at the moment once RAA (russian american arms) straightens out some kind of issue.

Centerfiresystems has a 5.45 ak74 for 550$ with a chrome-lined barrel right now, which looks like a good deal.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I just checked the Centerfire site. They have some really great deals going!!! Good thing my bank account is broke or they could cause me to go broke.

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have an AK-74 from 21st Century in Bluffton, it is Bulgarian parts and Bulgarian chrome lined barrel built on a Nodak Spud receiver by Waffen Werks. Dave was offering them to INGO members at a great price in December, I bought one yesterday and I think it was their last one but it may be worth checking to see if they have more or can get more.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    We ordered two SGL31-61 and a SGL32-61 a couple of days ago.
    Ammo and mags should be here by mid-week too.
    This will be our first dealings with the 74 and this cartridge. Should've done this a long time ago due to ammo price differences.

Top Bottom