School me on Shotguns... and did I get a good buy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I was going to clutter this up with a big long boring story, but I'll save you guys the hassle.

Simplified: Wanted a shotgun for HD eventually (and maybe some range fun with clays), but I know nothing about shotguns except that 870s and 500s are most popular purchase.

Last night I walked into Walmart to see if they had any .22lr and seen http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-synthetic-deer.aspx (except the stock is wood) on clearance for $249 and it might be eligible for $30 Remington rebate.

Without thinking, I whipped out the cash and bought the Shotgun not even thinking about its function and purpose. The only problem is that it has a rifled barrel and I bought this for HD.

Questions:
    1. Would you recommend that I change the barrel for HD and if so... what are my options?
    2. If I want to shoot clays should I change the barrel?
    3. Did I get a good deal? (now I know how my fiance ended up with all those shoes that were "on sale")
    4. How hard is it to add a tube extension? Is it something I can do at home... keep in mind I am not a gunsmith, but pretty handy. Did all my own 10/22 work including trigger mods and built an AR. Is this something beyond my scope?
    5. Everyone's bedroom in my house are all located in the same hallway... what type of shot should I be looking into for HD?
    6. Did my impulse get the best of me... should I get rid of this shotgun for something better to suit my needs?​

Thanks in advance for all input

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I was going to clutter this up with a big long boring story, but I'll save you guys the hassle.

Simplified: Wanted a shotgun for HD eventually (and maybe some range fun with clays), but I know nothing about shotguns except that 870s and 500s are most popular purchase.

Last night I walked into Walmart to see if they had any .22lr and seen http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-synthetic-deer.aspx (except the stock is wood) on clearance for $249 and it might be eligible for $30 Remington rebate.

Without thinking, I whipped out the cash and bought the Shotgun not even thinking about its function and purpose. The only problem is that it has a rifled barrel and I bought this for HD.

Questions:
    1. Would you recommend that I change the barrel for HD and if so... what are my options?
    2. If I want to shoot clays should I change the barrel?
    3. Did I get a good deal? (now I know how my fiance ended up with all those shoes that were "on sale")
    4. How hard is it to add a tube extension? Is it something I can do at home... keep in mind I am not a gunsmith, but pretty handy. Did all my own 10/22 work including trigger mods and built an AR. Is this something beyond my scope?
    5. Everyone's bedroom in my house are all located in the same hallway... what type of shot should I be looking into for HD?
    6. Did my impulse get the best of me... should I get rid of this shotgun for something better to suit my needs?​

Thanks in advance for all input

You got a good deal if you were looking for a deer gun.

Sounds like you will be wanting a new barrel you might be able to find a gun shop that has a barrel they would be willing to do a strait trade for no cash or small amount out of pocket.

For home defense you will want some of the Honaday critical defense rounds mixed with the defense slugs. I like to have the slug first then buckshot and alternate but you can load them anyway you want.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    You got a good buy on the shotgun. If you want to add a magazine extension you will have to remove the dimples in the magazine tube (I think most new 870's are dimpled). The easiest way to remove them is to drill them out.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    You got a very serviceable shotgun for a good price. If you wish to shoot some clays you can easily buy a different barrel, and while not optimal you could in a pinch sling some buckshot down that slug barrel. Now go shoot the thing.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You got a really food deal on that. 870s are sort of like ARs, once you get a basic model you can add whatever you want to it to make it he way you want it. You can but different barrels, stocks and magazine tubes to build a shotty to fit your needs.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Sounds like a good deal and a good firearm for home defense.

You wouldn't want any longer of a barrel for home defense and you would only be able to go 2" shorter if you wanted shorter.

I would recommend installing an extended magazine tube. As some have mentioned you would need to remove the dimples but there are lots of guides on the internet about how to do this. This is something that shouldn't give you much trouble.

As for what type of ammo to use, you are going to get all sorts of answers. I just stick with Federal law enforcement buckshot.

I would recommend getting a light mount and flash light if you are going to use the shotgun for defense.

I shoot clays with my 18" 870 express and don't have too much trouble. If I was going to get serious about it I would get a longer barrel.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Link didn't load for me... Is it rifled or smooth bore?

Got it... Rifled.

Using slugs, it will be a good defense gun.

Get a smooth barrel if you are going to try shooting shot.

Top Bottom