• ...and so much more!
  • EastIndyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hello good INGO people!

So I understand SA. I cock my 1911, lock it and its good to go. My XD is DAO right? Cock it and the long pull DA trigger is the safety of sorts. Beretta I understand as DA/SA. Chamber a round and use the decocker to lower the hammer making the first shot DA and subsequent shots SA.

Where I get confused is looking at all the different CZ models and copies. Some have decockers, some just a safety and some have both?

Are the safety only models SA like a 1911? Or do you need to manually decock them? I'm looking at a Springfield p9 today (cz75 copy) and I'm pretty sure it just has the safety.

I guess my confusion comes from thinking all DA/SA guns employ a decocker to safely lower the hammer thus making the first shot DA.

I have so much to learn. Thanks all!

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    You can manually decock a CZ. Im not sure which models. But a memeber of this forum shoots a CZ in USPSA and he manually decocks his CZ prior to holstering. And your comment about an XD being DAO isnt entirely true. IDPA says its single action actually. Striker fired guns are a little different. Technically the trigger does move the striker back just a bit before releasing it so it is DAO, but not in the same sense as a revolver or a CZ on the first shot. Others will chime in with better answers

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    It's my understanding that Springfield advertised the XD as a single action (which is why it is where it is in IDPA). But I agree with Tommy2Tone, the striker fired is a different beast.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Tommy's right. Glocks, XDs, and other striker fire guns are more of a single action with a long trigger pull. Glock, I believe, refers to this as "safe action". Should the striker ever fall on a dud cartridge, there's no way to pull the trigger to strike the cartridge again unlike a DAO or DA/SA. These guns never have a decocker because the typically the only way to cock the striker is to rack the slide.

Single action guns function in the same way, but there is still a hammer. Example is the Ruger Mk I/II/III line of .22's.

DA/SA pistols typically have an exposed hammer that allows for the hammer to be drawn back or have the first trigger pull draw back the hammer and release it. These may have a decocker only (CZ75BD), manual safety (1911) or a combination of both (92FS). Worth noting is the CZ P07 that allows for changing between decocker and manual safety with user interchangeable parts.

EDIT:
    DAO is much less common, in fact, I had to go hunt to find an example - KelTec's P-32. When the gun fires and the slide retracts, the hammer is not cocked like in most other pistols. In addition, there is no exposed hammer spur to cock back.

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    CZ makes all kinds of options... my 75b is SA/DA with a safety so I can carry it "cocked and locked" or I can chamber a round, manually decock it... then carry it straight DA.

It also have a half cock option so I can carry it DA with a reduced trigger motion. My particular version does not have a decocker, so I have to manually decock it.

Top Bottom