• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J

jerbur6

the high school where my daughter goes was on lockdown today due to a man with a long gun who was depressed im still waiting for all the details they just took him into custody but i would have felt much better if there was legal ccw owners there luckily as far as i know nobody was hurt but it gives me chills just thinking what could have happened

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    from 14 WFIE, The Tri-State's News Leader: Home Page, 14wfie.com
    Update, 1:40pm: Classes have resumed at Reitz High School after the school was locked down because of a teen with a gun seen outside the school Thursday morning.
    Evansville Police are not releasing the teen's name, but said he was not a student at Reitz. They tell 14 News that he was suicidal, but did not make any threats against other students.
    The incident ended when the teen gave the gun to his father near the school. He was taken into custody.
    Police and Evansville Vanderburgh School Corporation officials say that there is no reason to believe that the gunman actually entered Reitz High School, but an eyewitness did see the teen outside the school.
    14 News will sort this out and have complete coverage on 14 News at 5, 6 and 10 Thursday, along with coverage on the approaching winter storm from the 14 First Alert team.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    Well I am glad he decided not to take any one with him and everything is ok. Way to many people decide others need to die before they do. Its scary.

Just in case any one carries and has to drop off or pick someone up on school property:

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency 02/20/2008 09:33:34 PM EST

This text copied from: Indiana Code 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well I am glad he decided not to take any one with him and everything is ok. Way to many people decide others need to die before they do. Its scary.

Just in case any one carries and has to drop off or pick someone up on school property:

Information Maintained by the Office of Code Revision Indiana Legislative Services Agency 02/20/2008 09:33:34 PM EST

This text copied from: Indiana Code 35-47-9

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.
    (3) A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.11.

I have a buddy who was discussing this provision with his local county sheriff. The sheriff WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS. I printed a copy for him to keep in his glove box. I did the same for myself as I was sitting in Ivy Tech's parking lot yesterday, waiting on my daughter.

Correct me if I'm wrong here;
    If I read this right, on school property, if you step out of your vehicle with a firearm you have committed a felony. Right?

AKsteve

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Avon
    How would anyone know if you had a gun in your glove box on school property? Carrying concealed in a school might be risky. I don't think there i much chance of getting busted with a gun in your box or under your seat on school grounds unless you get pulled over?

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I have a buddy who was discussing this provision with his local county sheriff. The sheriff WAS NOT AWARE OF THIS. I printed a copy for him to keep in his glove box. I did the same for myself as I was sitting in Ivy Tech's parking lot yesterday, waiting on my daughter.

Correct me if I'm wrong here;
    If I read this right, on school property, if you step out of your vehicle with a firearm you have committed a felony. Right?

I think the key part there is " step out of your vehicle with a firearm". Not just having it in the vehicle, actually on your person on school grounds. ? Is that right? Just curious...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think the key part there is " step out of your vehicle with a firearm". Not just having it in the vehicle, actually on your person on school grounds. ? Is that right? Just curious...

Correct. I understand the provision and I'm greatful for it, but just to clarify;

You are in the school parking lot and see whatever act of violence (less than someone shooting people,) going on that must be stopped. You have to handle it barehanded, because if you step one foot on the ground armed, you are committing a felony. Right?

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Correct. I understand the provision and I'm greatful for it, but just to clarify;

You are in the school parking lot and see whatever act of violence (less than someone shooting people,) going on that must be stopped. You have to handle it barehanded, because if you step one foot on the ground armed, you are committing a felony. Right?

The way the law reads and the way the court has ruled, if you have a firearm with you on school grounds you must remain in the car. You can not step out of the car with or without the weapon.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Under those circumstances, you have the doctrine of competing harms. If you solve a problem like that, it's unlikely you'd have any charges filed against you. If you did, your attorney should be able to articulate that you in compliance with the law, but then you had to act to stop a much worse crime.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Under those circumstances, you have the doctrine of competing harms. If you solve a problem like that, it's unlikely you'd have any charges filed against you. If you did, your attorney should be able to articulate that you in compliance with the law, but then you had to act to stop a much worse crime.

As long as everyone seen it your way. However there is a lot of grey area here and a lot of room for things to turn around on you.

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    As long as everyone seen it your way. However there is a lot of grey area here and a lot of room for things to turn around on you.

meaning pray for a judge who likes your tie that day....

-K

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom