• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I've never successfully improved a scissor's performance by sharpening it. I have a separate sharpener for scissors, but even though the drag says I'm sharpening, the scissor always seems duller. There is a screw as well and I tighten it but nothing seems to help other than getting new scissors. Is there a secret here? Angle?
    Should I post this in knives?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Scissors (also tin snips and hedge trimmers) are simply the shearing action of two sharp edges. They have to be flat on the meshing side, all the way to the edge. I have seen people try to sharpen them like a knife, and make things worse. Fine stone grinding from the outside in is the proper machining method, not touching the faces. Tightening the screw so that the edges stay in firm contact is needed. So many of the new scissors are made with metal that is too thin, and the first time they bind on tough material, they flex and bend and never cut properly unless re bent. Of course they do have stylish plastic handles win designer colors....

I have had better luck sharpening 40 year old department store USA made scissors than any of the new crap my wife has purchased.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    My solution HAS been to buy new scissors. The Scotch Titanium version. Pretty plastic designer handles... lol. I use them to trim my dogs. They work great for a few hours. The dogs have hair, not fur (poodle derived). I guess I should investigate what groomers use. I have electric clippers, but find them a hassle to use.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If the blades are not aligned correctly to shear against each other - it doesn't matter how good an edge you hone. They have to have a very slight bend in them so as they close against each other there is tension all the way our to the tips. I place each blade in a bench vise and gently bend them with careful blows from a rawhide mallet. Or just buy new ones. I also like 40 year old quality American and German scissors. I have managed to keep our scissors cutting nicely over the years but my wife still does things to them that just defy belief. She gets a new pair of cheap ones. "Honey, can I cut this wire with these?" Oh, sure.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom