• ...and so much more!
  • Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I have a New England Tracker II that my son used for many years. We ended up trading some stuff a while back, and I have it again.

I was hunting with it and had a nice buck at 40 yards, but couldnt find him in the scope. After he walked, a started checking everything again, and the base was loose.

I had a gunsmith tap and mount it about 15 years ago. I thought that maybe the screws stripped or broke, but when I took it apart yesterday and cleaned everything up - it looks like one screws was gone ( or likely never put in, as it is slightly off ), and 2 were loose. There were remnants of red loc-tite and epoxy on the threads.

Anyway. I am looking to get this back together, hopefully for another 15 years.

The screws look to be 6-48, and maybe 1/4" long. My thought was to was to find new screws in the right size, and re-epoxy it. I am starting to rethink this and maybe have a gunsmith look at it?

I will attach some pictures from my phone in a minute:

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    This is when I took it apart
    fad66ff7cbf2cc4e72898ff361d90795.jpg

This shows the 3rd hold, that was drilled incorrectly, I believe.
    fa14c499b2db0910e50a17e524c4b5b5.jpg

1daaa18fdfbc135828b96119156fae2f.jpg

09838edd43651e7bf2d990cba831021b.jpg

f8b7323fb041d5dc74f01b0fae4c899d.jpg

The threads look shiny, but that is because I tried to clean the thread with a 6-32 die - and stopped when it didnt fit
    f78615795e6b687342405a0a44fdc57a.jpg

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Yikes! What a mess.

If this were my shotgun, I'd start fresh. Clean all the old crud off the barrel, freshen up the threads, and put on a new picatinny style rail with new screws. Not sure why you would want to use epoxy AND red Locktite ... unless the rail didn't match the contour of the barrel and the epoxy was a filler. If this were the case, I'd be looking for a rail that better matched my barrel or blending the rail to match the barrel.

If you aren't capable or willing to do any of this work, yes, hire a gunsmith.

Whatever you do, please let us know how it turns out.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Epoxy bedding of rings and bases is relatively common in precision rifle circles.

That being said, so are #8 & #10 screws, and one can occasionally find bases drilled and pinned.

The epoxy bedding we do, though, is there to take up any slack in the machined surfaces. It's NOT used as an adhesive.

Here, it looks like it was used as the latter.

I'd bed that bi***, ream and retap those holes for #8 screws, and install a couple dowel pins. The loctite is fine, but quality fasteners correctly torqued into tight threads is the key to holding the rail down...installed correctly, the dowel pins do the work of absorbing recoil.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Yikes! What a mess.

If this were my shotgun, I'd start fresh. Clean all the old crud off the barrel, freshen up the threads, and put on a new picatinny style rail with new screws. Not sure why you would want to use epoxy AND red Locktite ... unless the rail didn't match the contour of the barrel and the epoxy was a filler. If this were the case, I'd be looking for a rail that better matched my barrel or blending the rail to match the barrel.

If you aren't capable or willing to do any of this work, yes, hire a gunsmith.

Whatever you do, please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks TJ, will do. I am open to a new rail if that is the best route

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    Epoxy bedding of rings and bases is relatively common in precision rifle circles.

That being said, so are #8 & #10 screws, and one can occasionally find bases drilled and pinned.

The epoxy bedding we do, though, is there to take up any slack in the machined surfaces. It's NOT used as an adhesive.

I'd bed that bi***, ream and retap those holes for #8 screws, and install a couple dowel pins. The loctite is fine, but quality fasteners correctly torqued into tight threads is the key to holding the rail down...installed correctly, the dowel pins do the work of absorbing recoil.

Natdscott,

Are you a gunsmith? If yes, where are you located?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

This right here, except I don't use epoxy, I use Locktite 638 Retaining Compound between the bases and the action. Its designed for between two pieces of metal to fill gaps and it can take a load if necessary.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    From the replies, I think it best to let someone who does this often look at this and redo it correctly.

I am looking for recommendations for a place to take this. I am in Greenwood, but will make a reasonable drive

Top Bottom