• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    ok guys, so I'm going to get into coyote hunting here soon. In addition, this gun will be a fun gun to shoot anywhere from 100-300 yds at the range. Recently bought a remington 700 in .223 and now i need a scope to go on it. I'm pretty new to scopes and am having trouble knowing what features are good/bad, and whats necessary vs. "extra". I'm not looking to put a scope on that's more than the price of the gun. My budget is around 200-250 dollars right now. I have been researching some and it seems like Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, and Redfield (kinda leupold?) all have scopes in this category. I'm probably looking to get a 4-12x40.

So my question is which has the most bang for the buck, and what features should i be looking for? Also, if anyone has any of these models in this price range, a brief review would be great. I apologize in advance for my scope ignorance but I'm trying to learn more about this topic. I appreciate your help.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    If it helps, here is what i'm looking at.

Bushnell-elite 3200 series
    Nikon- prostaff or buckmasters series
    Leupold- VX I
    Redfield- Revolution series.

Any others in this range i should be looking at? Help me out guys. Thanks INGO

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    If it helps, here is what i'm looking at.

Bushnell-elite 3200 series
    Nikon- prostaff or buckmasters series
    Leupold- VX I
    Redfield- Revolution series.

Any others in this range i should be looking at? Help me out guys. Thanks INGO

BUSHNELL ELITE, NIKON BUCKMASTER, & BURRIS FULLFIELD for under $300:yesway:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Most Leupold's aren't very good, and I write that as someone who very much likes the good ones. All of the VX-Is (and most of the IIs) are on the 'not very good' list. They lack decent lens coatings, and use inferior erectors, as compared to other scopes available at the same price point.

In your price range I'd look at a Sightron 6x42. The more I use mine, and a 3.5-10 from the same company, the more impressed I am.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have several Nikon Prostaffs.
    You can't go wrong with Nikon. And you can pick up a 4-12 x 40 with a BDC reticle for under $200 at the gun shows. Look for a booth called "The Hunter's Den" @ the 1500

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    any particular reason? Was thinking the bushnell but now you have me re-thinking. why the nikon?

imo the nikon buckmasters is the best bang for your buck in the hunting scope area. it wont dial out to range and return to zero (atleast the 3 ive had wont) but it you get it with a mil recticle you can use the mil dots for holdover on a set power. since your shooting 300 and in with a 223 you woont have much holdover but the option is there for future use.

the nikon has the best glass ive seen in there price range.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    imo the nikon buckmasters is the best bang for your buck in the hunting scope area. it wont dial out to range and return to zero (atleast the 3 ive had wont) but it you get it with a mil recticle you can use the mil dots for holdover on a set power. since your shooting 300 and in with a 223 you woont have much holdover but the option is there for future use.

the nikon has the best glass ive seen in there price range.

Thanks for your help! Anyone else have some input?

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    Most Leupold's aren't very good, and I write that as someone who very much likes the good ones. All of the VX-Is (and most of the IIs) are on the 'not very good' list. They lack decent lens coatings, and use inferior erectors, as compared to other scopes available at the same price point.

In your price range I'd look at a Sightron 6x42. The more I use mine, and a 3.5-10 from the same company, the more impressed I am.

Thanks for the tip. Ill check out sightron as well.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Another :+1: for Nikon. I agree with everything vette said. Also, the customer service at nikon is GREAT.

I purchased a refurb on ebay years ago without a warranty. I'd never had a problem with any of my nikons, and the price was right so i bought it. I shot it for close to a year on my muzzleloader when one day it wasn't on zero. When i went to sight it in, it was dancing all over the paper. I decided to call nikon just to try my luck and they told me to go ahead and send it in and they'd take a look.

A few weeks went by untill i got home from work one day and saw that ups had dropped off my scope. Wrong......Nikon had sent me a NEW scope no questions asked with a lens brush!

I've stuck with nikon after that! On a side note, that was the only problem i've ever had with any of their scopes.

Top Bottom