Scope vs. Open sights on .357 lever guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I am considering a .357 lever action for deer and I have a question for all of you with lever action experience. From what I've read so far, most limit shots on deer sized game to around 50 yards with open sighted .357 rifles. With my aging eyes, that might be my limit too, but I thought maybe with a scope I could extend the effective range to maybe 75 or 100 yards.

So my big question, I guess, is what is the reason for the 50 yard limit for most shooters? Is it due to the effeciveness of the .357 ammo (down-range energy) or is due to accuracy (where a scope might / should help.)? Do you really stretch the deer hunting range with a scope?

I have found some Rossi rifles that look nice and have open sights but would be a pain to install a scope. I know most would recommend an older Marlin with a scope but those are hard to find and run $700 now (OUCH!) I'm itching to try out the Rossi's and want to know what to expect for range limitations, I guess.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    ----
    GB!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Peep sight, they work great and delay the need for scopes ;)

If a gun shoots poorly with irons (gun issue) a scope won't help.
    All scopes do is put the aiming point and target in focus (which may help the shooter, maybe even a lot).

Scopes can get bonked pretty easy, often people have them in crappy mounts or installed incorrectly.
    Many folks put on cheap scopes..........which may work fine for a while.

Rain/fog...........not fun on glass.

Quick web check ...........looks like the Rossi may take some minor gunsmithing to install a peep.
    I'd go Marlin, even at the cost (pre cerberus gun). It's easy to add a peep now......... or scope later ;)

Yeah, it's not the cheapest route. But how much is a nice 140 class (or larger ) 10 pt worth (or worth losing)?

Last edited:

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    Peep sight, they work great and delay the need for scopes ;)

Co-signed! I'm a big fan of Skinner Sights. The peep sight allows for faster acquisition of targets as opposed to notch and post sights.

With optics, I tend to go high-end and avoid the entry-level (read:disposable) options.

Putting a $500 scope on a lever gun is kind of like putting spinning rims on a mini-van.

Marlin peep sights

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    In a lot of cases, the 50 yard limited shot is due more to geographical concerns than anything else.
    The property I hunt is small. I mean VERY small. In some places it is less than 50 yards across the property lines. Where the property is large enough, sometimes there are trees, or houses, or ...

In my case, due more to property size restrictions.

I would think you should be good to 75-100 yards, as long as your eyes are good for it.

It's been a few years ago, when my eyes were better, but I took a coyote at about 65 yards with one shot from a 4" barreled Taurus .357magnum. Almost perfect chest shot. About 2" further back than I had hoped, but entirely acceptable.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Copy/fix:

Co-signed! I'm a big fan of Skinner Sights. The peep sight allows for faster acquisition of targets as opposed to notch and post sights.

With optics, I tend to go high-end and avoid the entry-level (read:disposable) options.

Putting a $500 scope on a lever gun is kind of like putting spinning rims on a mini-van. with a chromed hitch haul for the deer

Marlin peep sights

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    The 50 yard rule is an accuracy thing. Some folks are better with irons, than others! Your mileage will vary! I like Buffalo Bore's, Heavy .357 Magnum load. This is a hard cast 180 Grain flat point, at an impressive velocity. Out of my 24" Rossi '92, this thing is smokin'! This definitely extends beyond 100 yards! Especially, with a good set of peep sights! No scopes for me on a lever gun!

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    i have a rossi 92 with a peep (winchester 92 fits just have to have the mounting holes drilled and tapped)..357 set up for hogs could be used for deer also. I installed the peep to extend the sight radius, scope would have to be a long eye relief not something I prefer.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had a Williams Peep sight on my lever gun. For hunting the small aperature made it too slow to aquire the target. Replacing with a bigger aperature is a good thing. One dim morning I unscrewed the reap aperature and looked through the threaded hole. It became a ghost ring and worked great for 50-100 yard shooting. It was easy to find the target and at least as accurate as the conventional v notch rear sight. Worked great and I did not have to buy anything new.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A scope can expend your shooting distance. It has more to do with making you more accurate than making the gun more accurate. I would not go very high zoom on it.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I have a Rossi 92 and installed a peep sight that replaces the safety plug in front of the hammer. AWESOME. Installed in seconds. Replaced the front sight with a fiber optic one. Wouldn't hesitate at 75 yes. My eyes aren't so good anymore and it works well for me. Btw. Rossis are good rifles for the money.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Shot a doe this year at 100 yards with my puma 357 lever. Used just Iron sights. Wouldn't recommend this without practicing a lot.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the advice. I have thought about peep sites and I'm glad to hear they work so well for many of you. I will give them a try before I resort to a scope. I'd like to keep it simple and stick to more traditional sites if possible on a lever action.

----
    GB!

Top Bottom