• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Well I took the M14A to the range for the first time using the open sights...was hitting way high. I set the rear sight all the way down an still hitting about 4" high at 50 an 110yds....after figuring that out an moving one click left fired 3 rds. at 50 yds an got a 1" group, then 3 rds at 110yds...I moved on the last shot an knew it....but my first 2 were 1.5" apart. Using German 94' MEN ammo. I was waiting to shim it before hiiting the range an my ebay 9.00 castle nut wrench arrived this morning, took all 3 shims.
    I picked up a Nikon 3X9 scope on the way out, an got home an mounted it up. Now this is a poor mans system, an many will say it won't work, but I gotta find out...scope was 179.00 Lifetime warranty, scope mount was 28.00 off ebay, an rings from Big R for 4.95 an of course the M14 with USGI parts was 1145.00 gunbroker......can't wait till next weekend to check out what the scope does...hopefully I can get out to some farther ranges...I'll post a pic here soon....looks bad to the bone!!!!
    picture.php

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    With it hitting high at 50 and 100 yards with the rear all the way down, I wonder if somebody changed out the front sight or filed down the front sight.

What kind of a scope mount did you find for less than 50 bucks? You got a good deal on the Nikon scope too. You might want something to get your head high enough up to see through the scope.

Too bad you couldn't make it to the high power clinic today at Ft Wayne Rifle and Revolver. We had several M1"s and M1A's on the line and could have gotten you up to speed pretty fast.

I am curious about the shims. Where do you put them? I have been shooting your rifle type for like 40 years and have never heard of shimming anything, except maybe match sticks behind the recoil lugs.

Good looking rifle, it should serve you well.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    With it hitting high at 50 and 100 yards with the rear all the way down, I wonder if somebody changed out the front sight or filed down the front sight.

What kind of a scope mount did you find for less than 50 bucks? You got a good deal on the Nikon scope too. You might want something to get your head high enough up to see through the scope.

Too bad you couldn't make it to the high power clinic today at Ft Wayne Rifle and Revolver. We had several M1"s and M1A's on the line and could have gotten you up to speed pretty fast.

I am curious about the shims. Where do you put them? I have been shooting your rifle type for like 40 years and have never heard of shimming anything, except maybe match sticks behind the recoil lugs.

Good looking rifle, it should serve you well.

Ya, I need a higher sight post...it doesn't appear to be tapered with. An its possiable it was switched at some time....think I might super glue a glow archery bead on top....?

The scope mount says its a Weaver type....lots of them on ebay with a buy now price of under 30.00, made of aluminum...looks very solid an mounted up perfect.

I have low profile rings....an I'm 6' 2'' an the fit an feel seems perfect for me so won't need any thing to get my head up any further....although I needed one for my scope Garand, but thats because its offsets to the left about 1.5".

I'm new to the M14 type rifles, but learned right off the bat the first thing to do is to shim the gas system, this an a tight stock are the 2 top things for basic accuracy to start off with...you take off the gas system...don't know all the names, but the shims go between the barrel stop an the part that holds your handgaurd an stock in place. The part that spins around your barrel an holds the gas system on should stop at 5:00, then with force or a tool tighten it up an screw in the plug...if it stops after 5:00, then you shim...shim sets comes in 3 of different size washer (flash hider has to be removed to install), on mine I had to use all 3 shims...most guys say it usually takes one or a combination or 2 different sizes to fit everything tight....check out the M14 The Firing Line public forum sometime...lots of great info!

Good shooting to you too!!!!

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Looks good! making me want to scope mine now

sloughfoot, the shims go behind the gas cylinder to time it so it clocks in the 5-5:30 position. So it will lock up tight. Check out http://m14forum.com/ and look for the gas shim thread.

*dragon beat me to it

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    DragonGunner,
    How do you like that vented hand guard? mine came with the solid one.

Mine came with a solid one too...like the vented better. I painted it to match better with the stock....needs some more work.....I like the wood ones too an may pick one up. Also came with a fiberglass stock....think I'll paint it up in Tiger Stripe paint

Shimming the M14....

To Shim or not to Shim. - M14 Forum

check out post 17

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thank you for the explanation about the shims. When you mentioned the castle nut wrench I thought you were talking about shimming the flash suppressor and I was puzzled how that would effect anything accuracywise.

I understand now, but i'll tell you I would prefer a properly unitized gas system over the shims, but I'm sure the shims will work just fine too, if you don't need the best accuracy out of the rifle.

Again, thanks.

EDIT TO ADD: I just read the link "to shim or not to shim"....Lots of good info here and I learned something new. Thanks again. I am an old timer who likes the traditional Marine Corps and US Army manual on accurizing the M14. Seems like maybe some folks are trying to invent the wheel? Anyway good info on the link......

Last edited:

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    The shims go between the barrel stop and the lower band . Even a unitized gas system may still require shims to get good lock up. You must also ensure that the gas port is aligned between the barrel and the hole in the gas cylinder. Hope this helps !

Top Bottom