Setting up a corrosive ammo experiment, and I need some corrosive ammo!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    So like the title says, I'm setting up a corrosive ammo experiment/test.

I seen this video on youtube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5A0aheehk4[/ame]

And I thought I'd use this method to test some ammo of my own, for the following reasons:
    I've heard that some ammo is very corrosive (such as surplus russian 5.45x39),
    and that other ammo is only mildy corrosive (such as yugo m67 surplus).
    I've also heard of ammo marketed as non-corrosive, that is in fact corrosive (klimovsk 7.62x39)
    Additionally, I just want to see the results first hand.

I'm going to test the following 7.62x39 ammo that I have in my possession:
    Golden Tiger fmj
    Tulammo polymer fmj
    Older Wolf fmj that's lacquer coated
    Older Wolf 8m3 HP in a sealed polymer coated case
    2 other varieties of Wolf HP (both polymer cased and NON-8m3)
    1985 production Yugo FMJ m67 surplus (has bright red primer sealant)
    Older production yugo fmj m67 surplus (hard to see or non-existent primer sealant)

This is the only ammo I have that has any chance of being corrosive.

I'd like to have a few more samples of KNOWN corrosive ammo, preferably 7.62x39, such as some klimovsk, some russian surplus, etc.

It doens't have to be 7.62x39 either, I could use a round of the very corrosive russian surplus 5.45x39 or 7.62x54r

So I'm asking for a few donations before I do the experiment.

All I'm asking for is a single round of known corrosive ammo, other than yugo m67.

I can meet within the city of New Castle, most any time.

Let me know via PM if you want to donate to the cause.

If necessary, I can pay $0.25 for one round, to offset your cost :):

Of course, I'll post the results here for all to see...

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    IMAG0360.jpg
    Want some of this? I also have some 54r I could donate if youd want

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can you do with a AK as I do with the mosin nagant and just spray some windex down the barrel after shooting, if your using corrosive ammo?

FYI: Windex is utterly useless as a corrosion protectant.

Well, not quite. It's the WATER in the Windex that does the most good. Windex is ~95% WATER.

The stuff with the ammonia in it...still only good for the WATER. The corrosive salts, Potassium Chloride (KCl) aren't soluable in ammonia in any kind of appreciable amount. They DO dissolve quite readily in WATER.

water, water, water. Don't use Windex unless you love paying a lot of money for blue scented water.

Also, OP: I think this is an absolutely fantastic experiment.

Would love for you to post up your proposed methodology / process first. There are all kinds of smart folks here on INGO who may very well be able to help "tweak" your experiment to help maintain scientific integrity.

-J-

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I'm not trying to be too accurate here, just seeing what happens mainly.

I supposed I should separate the nails from each other, like on different boards, I could see the residue from one corrosive shell contaminating the nail next to it, which would have a non-corrosive shell on it. This could possible cause false-positives.

Even better, I should probably test several shells of the same variety at the same time on the same board, just for better statistical accuracy.

But that's too much effort and wasted ammo. :)

As for the methodology, I'm doing exactly what the guy in the youtube video is doing, in my original post here.

Well, not quite. It's the WATER in the Windex that does the most good. Windex is ~95% WATER.

The stuff with the ammonia in it...still only good for the WATER. The corrosive salts, Potassium Chloride (KCl) aren't soluable in ammonia in any kind of appreciable amount. They DO dissolve quite readily in WATER.

water, water, water. Don't use Windex unless you love paying a lot of money for blue scented water.

Would love for you to post up your proposed methodology / process first. There are all kinds of smart folks here on INGO who may very well be able to help "tweak" your experiment to help maintain scientific integrity.

-J-

po7g

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Northwest Indiana

-J-
    Thanks for the extra info, and I would give you some 54R ammo if I had any extra but I just shot them all this past weekend lol. It does sounds like a interesting experiment and I know that Cabelas out here sells 54R that says its non corrosive. Would be interesting to see if that is true. I read somewhere that all 54R ammo is corrosive even if it says its not.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Be careful of what you read and believe.

All of the 54r surplus stuff is probably corrosive.

But recent production commercial stuff, from known brand names, is almost definitely not corrosive.

Thanks for the extra info, and I would give you some 54R ammo if I had any extra but I just shot them all this past weekend lol. It does sounds like a interesting experiment and I know that Cabelas out here sells 54R that says its non corrosive. Would be interesting to see if that is true. I read somewhere that all 54R ammo is corrosive even if it says its not.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    More anti-corrision cleaning advice:

Just putting WATER down the barrel won't do the deed to the extent it needs doing.

You still will need to flush the chamber and the bolt face as well. MAYBE even the innards of the bolt / firing pin channel, too.

Water water water. Scrub with a toothbrush.

THEN you remove the water. Up to you to determine the best method for your purposes (compressed air, heat gun, hair dryer, WD-40, etc.). THEN you have to re-lube as needed. (This will mean removing the WD-40)

-J-

(sorry for the slight thread-jack)

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I have have a handful of old 762x54 surplus rounds... and no Mosin anymore to shoot them with, so if you want them you can have them. I don't want to drive to New Castle, but if you're ever in the 71st and Binford area in NE Indy, I would be happy to donate them to the experiment.

EDIT: I can also come up with a handful of corrosive surplus 8mm Mauser rounds too.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I have have a handful of old 762x54 surplus rounds... and no Mosin anymore to shoot them with, so if you want them you can have them. I don't want to drive to New Castle, but if you're ever in the 71st and Binford area in NE Indy, I would be happy to donate them to the experiment.

EDIT: I can also come up with a handful of corrosive surplus 8mm Mauser rounds too.

Thanks for the offer, but I doubt I'll ever be up that way anytime soon.

Top Bottom