• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    I'm new to the forum, so I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll try to answer a few of the questions that were asked. You can use the clamp from the DMT aligner with any thick bench stone, or with thinner stones rested on a small stand (a couple of scrap pieces of 2x4 will do the trick). Here's a link to DMT's factory video showing how it's done - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUridlcjmZ4. As an FYI, DMT sharpeners are made in the USA.

I own a Wicked Edge, and I haven't been able to get the results that I've seen others get. I'm probably going to sell it to fund an Edge Pro. I've used an Edge Pro once, and I liked it much better. I may try a Chinese knockoff of the Edge Pro (available on Amazon) as a test to make sure before I sink $200+ into another US made system. Beyond the ease of use in my single test run, one of the things I really like about the Edge Pro is the ability use almost any medium sized rectangular stone. Chef Knives to Go has a huge selection, and tons of info. My only real issue with Edge Pro is that I've seen videos where the founder / inventor says that he doesn't offer diamond hones because they're no faster than alumina oxide ceramic. He further claims that knife steels will grab the diamonds and pull them out of the substrate causing rapid loss of performance. Both of those are the exact opposite of my long term advanced hobbyist experience, and the exact opposite of what everyone else I know in the knife industry has experienced. I'm also not sure that an Edge Pro is $100+ better the $13 DMT aligner clamp only paired with a couple of $40 diamond bench stones or a couple of $40-$60 Japanese water stones.

As far as Smith's sharpeners go, they're made in China, and they aren't much less expensive than equivalent DMT products that are all US Made. In side by side use my Smith's 4" dual side coarse / fine works, but my DMT DiaFold dual side coarse / fine works noticeably better. I'd rate Smith's diamond better than most quality ceramic, but not as good as DMT or Atoma diamond hones.

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Come to the 1500 in a week
    . I sell stones usually once a year there. ( The table rent is too damn high ) Sharpening is like guns etc. everyone has a different way to do it or the next best thing. Like tool sharpener guy sometimes it takes a while with a little practice. I prefer old school way a good stone and water then finish with a hard stone and or ceramic then strop. Many tricks but how grampa did it still holds true for many things. Oh and FYI the stones are from Indiana in The USA. I'm usually close to the guy that uses a sanding belt to "temper" your edge. or I've seen tempers after your edge has a blue tint to it also. Good luck.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I received the Lansky diamond system for Christmas. Luckily I decide to start with some of my Cheap/junk knives. I'm a bit disappointed in the results so far. For me the rods and the stones didn't lineup like I expected and the guide/vise is not as secure and precise as I had expected.

i agree with Rhino and others, it's a good idea to learn how to sharpen things the "real way", but I'm not even close to being able to do it. I can put an edge on a work chisel and take an axe or hatchet to the bench girder, but that's the extent of my free hand sharpening skills. I'd almost be willing to pay for instruction from a quality bladesmith. I struggle with owning fairly high quality knives and sending them to someone to sharpen.

I'm not sure if I'll look for another option or not, if I do I think I may consider the Syderco.

Bk

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I think I'm probably going to end up getting the EdgePro or Sharpmaker. I just want to get a solid system and not look back. Might be worth the investment.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    someone said this at the beginning of this post but i wanted to say it again. Thanks INGO for all the new stuff i learn each day. I just added a shaping kit on my wishlist based off of what people said in this post. Thanks.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I'm new to the forum, so I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll try to answer a few of the questions that were asked. You can use the clamp from the DMT aligner with any thick bench stone, or with thinner stones rested on a small stand (a couple of scrap pieces of 2x4 will do the trick). Here's a link to DMT's factory video showing how it's done - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUridlcjmZ4. As an FYI, DMT sharpeners are made in the USA.

I own a Wicked Edge, and I haven't been able to get the results that I've seen others get. I'm probably going to sell it to fund an Edge Pro. I've used an Edge Pro once, and I liked it much better. I may try a Chinese knockoff of the Edge Pro (available on Amazon) as a test to make sure before I sink $200+ into another US made system. Beyond the ease of use in my single test run, one of the things I really like about the Edge Pro is the ability use almost any medium sized rectangular stone. Chef Knives to Go has a huge selection, and tons of info. My only real issue with Edge Pro is that I've seen videos where the founder / inventor says that he doesn't offer diamond hones because they're no faster than alumina oxide ceramic. He further claims that knife steels will grab the diamonds and pull them out of the substrate causing rapid loss of performance. Both of those are the exact opposite of my long term advanced hobbyist experience, and the exact opposite of what everyone else I know in the knife industry has experienced. I'm also not sure that an Edge Pro is $100+ better the $13 DMT aligner clamp only paired with a couple of $40 diamond bench stones or a couple of $40-$60 Japanese water stones.

As far as Smith's sharpeners go, they're made in China, and they aren't much less expensive than equivalent DMT products that are all US Made. In side by side use my Smith's 4" dual side coarse / fine works, but my DMT DiaFold dual side coarse / fine works noticeably better. I'd rate Smith's diamond better than most quality ceramic, but not as good as DMT or Atoma diamond hones.

I saw that Chinese knockoff of the edge pro as well. If you get it, let me know how it works. Just from looking at the photos, it looks just like a $40 edge pro.

Terry A

Marksman
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    NWI
    KME Precision Knife Sharpening System (Works for many broadheads too)

Here's the one that I've been drooling over lately. Anyone have any experience with a KME? I suppose the "Made in USA" part has me about 75% sold on it anyway.
    This is a great system, easy to use. In your link if people want to see the sharpener in use, click the link and scroll down to watch the video of the sharpener, a great company to deal with, I have the knife, and the broadhead sharpener and both work great!!!!

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    This is a great system, easy to use. In your link if people want to see the sharpener in use, click the link and scroll down to watch the video of the sharpener, a great company to deal with, I have the knife, and the broadhead sharpener and both work great!!!!
    I just ordered one! It should be arriving on Monday. I'm excited to start practicing and learning.

Terry A

Marksman
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    NWI
    I just ordered one! It should be arriving on Monday. I'm excited to start practicing and learning.
    I found some knives are sharpened at a different angle, the KME has a gauge on it that tells you the angle, I write down the angle that the knife needs to be sharpened, it is then easy to set it when you sharpen it the next time.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    So I've been using my new KME sharpener for the past day. I certainly have a lot of learning and practice to do, but I am pretty happy with the edge I put on my Benchmade Mini-griptilian. I have a lot of reading a video watching to do to go along with practice. I am excited to learn a new skill though. :woot:

Top Bottom