• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Because I am so long winded I have put my actual topics of discussion in bold.

I've been doing some lurking around here (btw you guys are hilarious) and I've noticed that there is a split when it comes to sharpening. I've noticed many of you swear by your stones. As someone who is into the old school style of performing many tasks, I find this to be desirable to me. But I've also noticed many of you use belted machines and contraptions that find the angle for you (such as the Sharpmaker). This also seems to be the more economical choice due to the expense of imported Japanese stones.

I have been watching videos by a Japanese fellow by the YouTube handle Virtuovice, and his skill with high end stones is admirable. In fact, it is inspiring. I've been shopping around for my choice of sharpening since I found his videos.

I have done a few forum searches for sharpening threads where many of you have voiced your opinion as to what you prefer. There is one primary question my search has left me with, and based on my search results, it's a question that I'm sure will bring out very opinionated answers:

Will these machines (such as the recently discussed Work Sharp Sharpener, or the Sharpmaker) give you as good of an edge as *skilled* work with a stone? Now I am not a skilled sharpener, but as an avid lover of blades I feel that if this is a superior process I will take the time to hone my skills with a stone.

Ideally I'd like to have the ability to sharpen and hone every type of blade I can get my hands on. I don't know if this is a restriction for some of the contraptions I've seen, but that is another one of my concerns.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    they will give you as good of edge as stones. the kits are awesome for people who lack the skill to do it. they are expensive and you pay money for them to help you. the work sharp, edge pro, and wicked edge are all awesome and will get your blades super sharp and a bit faster than stones due to the mechanics and not having as much to worry about.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If you have the ability to stayed focused on the angle of your knife while sharpening, stones will work well for you. It takes some practice, and there's nothing to be in a hurry about.

I don't know if you reload but in my reloading manuals it recommends that you have a space away from everyone/thing so that your not distracted, that's a good idea with sharpening too.

PointFiveO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    St. Joseph County
    Thanks for the responses.

Grunt, excellent. That's exactly the information I was looking for.

DaKruiser, do you consider there to be any advantages to stones? I'm really looking for some reasons, because I don't mind throwing myself into learning a new skill, in fact I would enjoy it. But if the only advantage is pride in the skill, I think I'll have to push it off a few more years.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    that is the only real advantage other than if power is out and or SHTF you can do it with out electricity. but if you get a edge pro or wicked edge that also isn't a problem.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Those powered sharpeners will give you an awesome edge, quickly.

I just happened to have learned to sharpen knives 30 years ago, freehand. I used to do a lot of backpacking, and always took stones with me. They're far easier to pack around than an EdgePro or Wicked Edge system. Or a belt sander, lol. The Spyderco Sharpmaker is easily packed, but I never really got good with that.

I like that it takes longer to put a good edge on a knife free hand with stones. It's like spending quality time with one of your many girlfriends.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    JUST finished my first sharpening job with my sharpmaker. a small patch of bare skin on my arm now... Not SUPER razor sharp, had to push a little harder and go over a few times but it will slice the hairs off.

Not bad for a first try, I would definitely recommend it.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    JUST finished my first sharpening job with my sharpmaker. a small patch of bare skin on my arm now... Not SUPER razor sharp, had to push a little harder and go over a few times but it will slice the hairs off.

Not bad for a first try, I would definitely recommend it.

Buy the Ultra fine stones for your sharpmaker, or a leather strop and see what happens!!!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I do have the ultra fine and Diamond stones too! ;)

But I haven't cracked them open yet... I want to work on my technique a little more first.

Now, I just need to figure out what angles to use and which blades to re-profile, etc etc.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I can use both, but prefer a guided system like the Sharpmaker. It seems like I end up sharpening knives for my buddies in the kitchen when they come over. Add a little beer, and my focus is shot :laugh: The angled sharpeners take the guess work / skill out, all though man points are deducted when using such devices.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I can use both, but prefer a guided system like the Sharpmaker. It seems like I end up sharpening knives for my buddies in the kitchen when they come over. Add a little beer, and my focus is shot :laugh: The angled sharpeners take the guess work / skill out, all though man points are deducted when using such devices.

Man points can be added by sharpening large choppers, even if your sharpener is pink...:D

Top Bottom