• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've sold a rifle from my collection that classifies as a Curio and Relic. The purchaser is a 03 FFL holder in California. I do not possess any FFL classification.

From what I'm reading, I think I can legally ship a long gun to a 03 FFL, but want to be 100% sure. The searches on the web seem to turn up a lot of info about what the 03FFL must maintain, but less about who can ship to them.

Any help?

If I don't get a 100% crystal clear response that it is ok I'm going to ship from an 01 FFL to be safe.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    There is a thread in the California hometown forum over on AR15.Com that covers everything about shipping to California.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    You are fine to ship to an 03 in Cali. Only issues with shipping to CA is if you had an 01FFL then you will have to register with the CADOJ in order to get a special number in order to ship to another 01FFL in CA. Of course there are a bunch of other little issues but in your case you have nothing to worry about.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    EZ check doesn't verify C&R license holders. Get a copy of his C&R and a copy of buyer driver license.

THIS.

Ship to the buyer, I would think - but California is so f'ed up. Check out what Dennis says, https://www.empirearms.com/cal-ffl.htm

This is an old rifle, right?

EDIT: I'm not sure what shipping from a FFL01 would give you. In fact, it might make it more complicated.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    THIS.

Ship to the buyer, I would think - but California is so f'ed up. Check out what Dennis says, https://www.empirearms.com/cal-ffl.htm

This is an old rifle, right?

EDIT: I'm not sure what shipping from a FFL01 would give you. In fact, it might make it more complicated.

That was one of the resources that I found, and it does seem to make things more complicated going through an 01. My thinking there was just to be 100% sure I didn't do something illegal.

What I did notice the second time I read that link, was that a safety device needed to be installed. I assume that means trigger block?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That was one of the resources that I found, and it does seem to make things more complicated going through an 01. My thinking there was just to be 100% sure I didn't do something illegal.
    You're sending a gun to California - you're already evil in their eyes.

What I did notice the second time I read that link, was that a safety device needed to be installed. I assume that means trigger block?

I noticed that too. Do you have a extra trigger guard or cable lying around that you could throw in the box?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    You're sending a gun to California - you're already evil in their eyes.

I noticed that too. Do you have a extra trigger guard or cable lying around that you could throw in the box?

I think I do...but will have to dig it up. I'm also going to put an INGO chamber flag in it to show it is clearly unloaded.

I stopped by the post office today and they were a little fuzzy too on what the requirements were. Just said I have to fill out a form with them that has the recipients info on it. As long as it is unloaded they are good to go.

The lady actually said that most people probably don't tell them what they are shipping. I got a good chuckle out of that!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I think I do...but will have to dig it up. I'm also going to put an INGO chamber flag in it to show it is clearly unloaded.

I stopped by the post office today and they were a little fuzzy too on what the requirements were. Just said I have to fill out a form with them that has the recipients info on it. As long as it is unloaded they are good to go.

The lady actually said that most people probably don't tell them what they are shipping. I got a good chuckle out of that!

Rifles are okay with USPS but i've never had to fill out some kind of extra form.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I'm assuming I just ship it in a hard rifle case, and perhaps have them put some USPS tabe around it to ensure that it is "sealed" when it is delivered?

I would try to find a box to put the hard case in. Check with your local gun shop or sporting goods store. I wouldn't trust just a case with the address label on it. That SCREAMS "steal me" even more than the long box already will. At least find some pieces of cardboard and tape them around to make your own "box".

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I would try to find a box to put the hard case in. Check with your local gun shop or sporting goods store. I wouldn't trust just a case with the address label on it. That SCREAMS "steal me" even more than the long box already will. At least find some pieces of cardboard and tape them around to make your own "box".

Definitely put it in a box with your information in the case. I would also send it at least priority with tracking and insurance etc and put the shipping or return address in a couple of spots. I shipped a bushmaster one time and USPS lost it for almost a month (the label got ripped off), it ended up being found in an Atlanta warehouse. If you need a box sometimes gunstores have some or I have found them at places like the Container Store.

Top Bottom