Shooting a pump shot gun while holding a flashlight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Thought I was going have to zap a wild critter tonight. I was trying to hold a flashlight and aim my shot gun at the same time.
    I didn't have the shot gun racked yet, was wanting to know exactly what kind of critter I was going to have to cut short it's stay on this earth.
    I realize it's very hard to aim a shot gun and hold a flash light at the same time.
    Is there a way to do so that would allow me to hold the flashlight aim shoot and work the shotgun?

I didn't see what it was in my woods btw. Maybe I scared it off, just as good though.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nebo-Tactical-Flashlight-Pressure-Shotguns/dp/B004CS18WU]Amazon.com: Nebo Protec Tactical Laser Flashlight with Pressure Switch for Shotguns: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

your're welcome

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    do this all in with the left hand if u r a righty. hold the pump with your index finger and thumb and place the flashlight between your pinky and ring finger... should work ok in a pinch... the real cure is to mount it to your shotgun...

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I really don't care to mount the light on my shotgun. I forgot to mention I had a D cell flashlight. I'll bet I could rid up a strap for the flashlight and then hold the flashlight on top of my hand and the shotgun in the palm.

darthfader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    NWI
    I really don't care to mount the light on my shotgun. I forgot to mention I had a D cell flashlight. I'll bet I could rid up a strap for the flashlight and then hold the flashlight on top of my hand and the shotgun in the palm.

go and get yourself a tactical flashlight then and at the very least hold it like i mentioned. you will still have a secure platform to shoot from. d cell sound real awkward to shoot with...

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I don't use a pump but a double barreled coach 12 ga. I hold the flashlight in my left hand with the head pointed down from the bottom of the hand.

Bring you left arm up across the front of your body. Mount your shotgun to your shoulder, rest the forearm of the shotgun across your left forearm and your left hand controls the flashlight as it points in front of you.

My family has been doing this for years to take care of critters on the farm.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'm no shotgun aficionado, but I've only seen one thing that makes shooting and cycling simultaneously comfortable.

Surefire%20Shotgun%20Light.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Several ways but some of it depends on hand size so let me give you two methods:

If you have NBA-sized mitts then bringing the tube up along the side of the forearm works. Or, as I prefer, coming up underneath the forearm like the Harries technique for pistol.

To cycle the weapon drop the light on the ring or lanyard and run the slide, or shift the tube between the ring and driving finger and cycle the weapon with the thumb and forefinger.

It is unfortunate that gun owners obsess over the power of the flashlight rather than how to manipulate the flashlight. It's all about the footwork, THEN its about the bling, bling.

Manipulation is the reason I use lights with the Tiger rings or lanyards.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I think I could cycle and hold the light in one hand. Maybe not as comfortable as I would like, but My hands are big enough I believe I could pull it off. May try it later, with my 4d Maglite.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I haven't honestly tried this with a shotgun. Its a quick temporary barrel mount that is sold for another use:

416eO0uh2nL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TwoFish-Bikeblock-pump-inflator-holder/dp/B001F307JK]Amazon.com: TwoFish Bikeblock pump/inflator holder: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Get a surefire. Yeah, they cost almost as much as a new gun, but lets you keep your light on target even while racking a new round.

Top Bottom