• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepCrasher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    I've got a couple of acres in Hancock county, well into the country area, with my nearest neighbor being approx 1/4 mile away. I've been teaching my 2 daughters gun safety and shooting with a small savage 64 and have never had any complaints. BUT..I want to start putting a few larger handgun rounds down range (.40,9,.357,.38 etc). I'm not worried about the neighbors to much, but I am worried about my local DNR and LEO. I've searched and can't find specific laws to protect myself if Barny Fife shows up on my front porch.

COuld someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Look up any county ordinances (there usually are not any outside of incorporated cities/towns) that deal with shooting. Build a good backstop.

Then...call the Sheriff. Not a deputy. Go to the courthouse or jail and meet the Sheriff in his office and ask for clarification. Let him know the steps you have taken and invite him or his deputies out to check the backstop.

Then...call your neighbors. Invite them to shoot and welcome their input on what would be acceptable to them in reference to times that you shoot. You do not have to do this as long as the law is on your side but it makes things go much smoother as they can call at any time and you could get any one of 50 deputies, they can call DNR, or they can try calling ISP.

Enjoy your land and, if one of the neighbors says that it is never acceptable, remind them that you are welcoming input as a favor but that the law is on your side and there is nothing they can do to stop you from enjoying your property as you see fit.

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    Gotta agree, call the sheriff. Get it straight. We built a backstop, neighbors caled county 3 times. County DEPUTIES lied 3 times. We called sheriff, someone got a foot up the a**. Since then no cops have showed up.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, here are your ordinances:
    Hancock Co.

130.01 DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS PROHIBITED.

(A) Outside the corporate limits of cities or towns, no person, other than a law enforcement officer, shall discharge a firearm or pellet gun within 300 feet of a residence, except when the discharge is permitted by law in the prevention of a crime or the apprehension of a criminal.

(B) Any person found to be in violation of this section shall be fined.

That's all I saw off-hand.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, here are your ordinances:
    Hancock Co.

130.01 DISCHARGE OF FIREARMS PROHIBITED.

(A) Outside the corporate limits of cities or towns, no person, other than a law enforcement officer, shall discharge a firearm or pellet gun within 300 feet of a residence, except when the discharge is permitted by law in the prevention of a crime or the apprehension of a criminal.

(B) Any person found to be in violation of this section shall be fined.

That's all I saw off-hand.

Am I misunderstanding? This seems counter-intuitive to me. Seems like it would be INSIDE the corporate limits of cities or towns where shooting would be prohibited or restricted. :dunno:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Inside city/town limits is most likely prohibited. I wouldn't fire the pellet rifle where I am except with an adequate backstop and the fact it's a .22 with a suppressor, so nobody would notice. I wouldn't try to demise anything outside the inside of the house with anything bigger. I've used .45ACP and 5.56x44 inside, but that's what I had. Probably use something else now.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    I would ask the sheriff before shooting, just went through a big ordeal about shooting on my property because the neighbors called local sheriff dept, and it turned into a huge situation. good luck!!

Top Bottom