• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    I have a 13 year old daughter that has chosen shooting sports as a 4H election this year! ( YEAH ME!!!! A NEW GUN!!!!!) But seriously......I am looking for opinions on the easiest, best shooting 22 rifle. I think I will be looking for a bolt action , tube fed rifle, but educate me if my thinking is flawed. Tube fed= no broken mags, no lost mags, simplicity.
    Bolt action= less wasted ammo, more thought behind each shot, hopefully better accuracy.

Thoughts?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    First I would check to see if the 4H program in your county has guns that they own and use, some counties have their own guns that they use

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Are you looking to develop a skill set or just shooting ability? I know you have to develop fundamentals first but shooting trap, skeet, or sporting clays is always fun. It's interactive, the target breaks, you can see a rapid improvement in skills. But hey everyone loves plinking a .22.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    From what I have found out, the county has their own rifles, but the kids are allowed to bring their own if they have one. They will first get a Hunter's Education Course, which is very good to have, but the course agenda says they will learn safety with rifles, pistols, muzzleloaders and archery. She has shown a little interest in archery, but mostly firearms and shooting. I'm not ready to go out and purchase a bow just yet, but would if she shows enough interest. Also - have two younger ones coming up right behind her that can all use the equipment as well! lol

But Anyhow.......I guess I am just looking for advise on what model of 22 to start them out on......I am looking at a Remington 513T at the moment. I know I said no mags, but.........the price is right and they are a hell of a shooting gun!

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Bought the 513T on gunbroker and it should be here tomorrow. Ordered 4 mags from Brownells , they should be here by the end of the week! Lets keep up the good weather and maybe sight the bad girl up this weekend!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I know you said bolt action, but take a look at the Marlin 60/795. They are semi-auto, but they are a great price, and high quality. They shoot like a tack right out of the box as well. The 60 is tube fed and the 795 mag fed.

kmshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Boone Co.
    vzdude,

I have 2 daughters in the Boone County 4-H Shooting Sports program. I started my oldest 3 years ago with a borrowed Marlin 915Y. After the first year, I bought her a Marlin 981T. She did very well with it. Now my youngest will shoot the 981T and the oldest will be using a Mossberg 144LS.

Our program has 430+ participants this year. It is a great program for the kids. It is amazing to me watching all the kids improve as the year progresses. I hope that your children enjoy shooting sports as much as mine do.

Top Bottom