• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've never really considered it, but our range staff had us try running an AR-15 with one arm in a tourniquet today. Basically simulating taking a hit that doesn't destroy the limb, self-administering the tourniquet, then getting back in the fight.

Fighting with a tourniquet presented unique challenges over fighting one handed. The lack of sensation was, in some ways, even more of a challenge then doing things one handed. I dropped a mag after a reload, for example, as it was very tough to tell how much force I was using to hold it, seat it, etc. Plus a properly applied tourniquet hurts, so its a bit distracting (also good training).

Anyway, just something to consider. If SHTF you aren't going to get a time out to go to the ER.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is an interesting and useful drill. Glock21/Fortress Defense has been doing it a while.

Be careful about applying the tourniquets, though. If you do it wrong or too tightly you can do some damage.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I've never fired with a tourniquet, but I have been shooting when it was bitterly cold. I lost sensation in my hands and found it extraordinarily difficult to load magazine.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Be careful about applying the tourniquets, though. If you do it wrong or too tightly you can do some damage.

Good point. If you don't know what you're doing, get some training first. You don't want to end up with nerve damage from a training exercise. Its really pretty simple with the ready made tourniquets, such as the CAT.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We were taught to cycle the tourniquet to allow some blood flow below the damaged area. Just enough when the limb starts to go numb. Blood loss has to be monitored.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    We were taught to cycle the tourniquet to allow some blood flow below the damaged area. Just enough when the limb starts to go numb. Blood loss has to be monitored.

Thats sorta a bad idea and is not taught these days. The reason is that a person loosening the TQ on themselves, has already lost a lot of blood. Loosening it will probably cause them to lose more. At some point they will pass out. It would suck to pass out before you retightened the TQ. Happens.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

That's no longer the preferred technique, as already explained, but more importantly a properly applied tourniquet will immediately reduce sensation below it. If it doesn't its not tight enough.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Try shooting a pump shotgun prone, even with 2 hands, suddenly semi auto is your friend. One handed mag changes may be a ***** but worth learning.

I have reduced feeling in some of my fingers from an old injury and surgery, another thing you don't feel well is heat. I second being careful with tourniquets. You can wear gloves to reduce sensation and make things more difficult.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's no longer the preferred technique, as already explained, but more importantly a properly applied tourniquet will immediately reduce sensation below it. If it doesn't its not tight enough.

It is obvious how long it has been since I received training.
    It was a factor to monitor blood loss.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It is obvious how long it has been since I received training.
    It was a factor to monitor blood loss.

Basically they figured out that it takes a looong time with a tourniquet on to make you lose the limb and that risk was far outweighed by the danger of additional blood loss, clotting being blown out by the spike in blood pressure and having to reform, etc.

I took EMT courses in the late 90s and the "leave it alone" was the prominent school of thought then, but the "loosen and recheck" was still well known enough to be specifically warned against.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can wear gloves to reduce sensation and make things more difficult.

Not the same feeling at all. The reduction in sensation is different, and equally important the tourniquet binds your muscles so that your applied force is reduced with the same felt effort. Basically you aren't holding things as tightly as you think you are.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    While I have been practicing using a tourniquet one handed I haven't tried to DO things after. This is a great idea. I have limited use in one hand as it is. If I had the TQ on the other it would be a test for sure.

Top Bottom