• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I just got a HR 20 gauge single shot shotgun. It has the 26" Barrel. I was thinking about eventually shortening it to 19 or 20". Any thoughts on either way to go. I will primarily use it as a small game or hiking gun but would still like the ability to take a deer if I don't get a 12 gauge before deer season.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Yuuuup 18 it is but I would shoot(:laugh:) for 181/2 just to give it a little bit xtra

Getting ready to do the same to a .410 single shot for a over in the corner gun

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I have a 12ga shotgun that I chopped the barrel to just over 19" on and did not have rechoked.(its for HD) I dont know what kind of small game you hunt but your going to really limit your effective range if you chop that barrel and dont rechoke. My patterns open up quick. At about 10 yards I can fill a paper plate with buckshot. I dont know if you'll be able to get slug accuracy thats necessary for deer hunting.

I personally wouldnt think it an economically sound decision spend money having your H&R rechoked and a new bead taped, but maybe your a real DIY'er.
    :twocents:

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Not really gun expert. I honestly have no idea what rechoking means. Just thinking about possibilities. I want to look at getting a dedicated deer season gun but was curious on the affects of the barrel shortening.

jrlj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    same

Got one last week and the barrel was just too long, shortened to 20", looks great, handles better

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I shortened a mossberg 500 20guage that was given to me by a friens who didnt want it because he thought it was junk. The end of the barrel was rusted real bad and it looked a little bent. I used a cut off wheel on a dremel tool and cut it to a little over 18/1/4" and used a file to smooth all the edges. Then i spray paintes the barrel flat black and put it back together and works great.

Top Bottom