Should I cut it off or not? (Romy G kit fore-grip)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should I cut it off?

• Total voters

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    ***Ok, I decided to keep it.*** I went ahead and refinished them last night in my best version of "slightly more red than Russian Red" and all I can say is WOW. I can't wait to post pics of these, they're gorgeous. I'm going to do several very thin coats of satin finish Poly on them so it'll be a while before the finished pics are in. I still need to order front handguards for the other one and finish those as well. Not sure if I'll go with the donkey-dong grip or a normal style one.

Ok, I'm torn now...

I just finished stripping and sanding the stock for one of my G-kits. I'm torn on cutting off the ugly fore-grip thing (photo below for those that don't know what I'm talking about).

I've never fired one with the fore-grip so I don't know if its useful or not.

I guess one deciding factor would be that there is a blemish in the grip part of it that I would have to fill if I left it there.

Another deciding factor would be refinishing. I'm not completely stripping/sanding away the previous stain. If I leave the stain and just lightly sand it defines the lamination beautifully. But I would have to recreate the stain on the lower handguard where I remove the grip, prior to sanding it down.

Oops, forgot the first pic, this is what I have right now.
    AK-R010-D.jpg

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I voted "No, they're useful," but that's only because you didn't give me the option of "No, get a standard fore grip and stain it." :)
    That's essentially what cutting it off will give me.

The only difference is that if I cut it off, the sides will just be straight, it won't have the little "bumps" on the sides like a normal grip.

This is what it will look like if I cut it off. I'll just have to so some work to get the stains to match up prior to refinishing.
    IMG_0074.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ahhh......."Russian Red".
    Well, sort of... true Russian Red isn't really that red at all. Most people that dye/stain their stocks red are actually too red to be Russian Red. I am going for a good, deep red color, but hoping the brown in the end-grain laminations holds pretty true. That way I end up with red laminated with dark brown. Then I'll put a few nice coats of satin poly on it and call it quits.

Come on guys, can you please vote? This is killing me... it's just sitting there begging me to cut it off. And I'm killing time waiting for a co-worker to bring his deer by. He said I can have it bc he can't possibly eat that much (he just bought a half of beef and already has 1 or 2 deer in the freezer).

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I would stain it and buy another from the AK section of ARFcom. You can get one shipped for less than $20.

Yep, I would get a standard replacement, strip and stain both, then see what you like. I think the donkey-dongs are ugly as sin BUT are great when used kinda like an angled foregrip... ie., hold the foregrip with first two or three fingers and let the bottom of the palm push back against the vertical... uh... grip.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom