Should the stock on my Mossberg MMR (AR15) be slanted?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Just got the gun today. It is my first AR. Are all stock slanted so the the top of the stock is longer than the bottom? Sorry it is kinda hard to explain, the picture bellow shows it best. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

timthumb.php

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    That's normal. It means you have a commercial buffer tube and commercial stock. If you ever go to replace your stock, be sure to get another commercial and not a mil spec as they require different tube diameters.

You didn't upload any pic but a quick Google shows it to be commercial.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Yes, the actual stock should be slanted.

If you take it off, the receiver extension should be slanted as well. I believe Mossberg uses UTG receiver extensions.

If you don't like the slanted buttstock, replace it with a Magpul MOE, the standard model. They're only $39.99 msrp now, Magpul lowered the price to accommodate for the SL line.

It's a cheap improvement.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Yes, the actual stock should be slanted.

If you take it off, the receiver extension should be slanted as well. I believe Mossberg uses UTG receiver extensions.

If you don't like the slanted buttstock, replace it with a Magpul MOE, the standard model. They're only $39.99 msrp now, Magpul lowered the price to accommodate for the SL line.

It's a cheap improvement.

By standard model do you mean commercial? So replacing it with this (MOE® CARBINE - Magpul® Original Equipment - MOE® Carbine Stock ? Commercial-Spec Model) would eliminate the slanted feeling?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    By standard model do you mean commercial? So replacing it with this (MOE® CARBINE - Magpul® Original Equipment - MOE® Carbine Stock ? Commercial-Spec Model) would eliminate the slanted feeling?

Magpul has a lot of buttstocks, by standard I meant the MOE line, but yes, that's the right stock. They still have a slight slant to them, but I've never noticed it being uncomfortable because of the rubber and they're at a more ergonomic angle. The hard checkering on factory buttstocks suck, plus they tend to wobble a lot and make it more uncomfortable.

The MOE line doesn't have a locking lever, but to tighten the fit of the stock to the extension you can use a strip or two of electrical tape on the extension, just about a 2" strip running vertical. The CTR is nice with the locking lug though and it eliminates the wobble.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The MOE can have a little bit of "slop" on the buffer tube and yes, it is adjustable. The CTR adjusts the same as the MOE but it has a friction lock that takes out the slop and secures it in place.

Top Bottom