• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I had a gen 1 Gibbz side charger and had issues with the charging handle staying in place under recoil. They've since changed and now have a gen 2 and gen 3. If you go Gibbz, I'd recommend spending the extra money for the latching Gen 3 to ensure you don't have issues. They were able to convert mine to a Gen 3 and now it's rock solid.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville
    I have made my own side chargers.
    Helps when you have a mill and a lathe.
    One big advantage I see is when getting out of your car to go hunt coyotes or deer, you can quietly chamber a shell.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    My first side charger was a PSA and I liked it so much I had my gunsmith make me up two more.
    Drilled and tapped the carrier 1/4x20 milled a slot in the lower and you are done.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    My first side charger was a PSA and I liked it so much I had my gunsmith make me up two more.
    Drilled and tapped the carrier 1/4x20 milled a slot in the lower and you are done.

What did you use for your 'charging' handle? Shoulder bolt or knob of some kind. I pic would be nice to see.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I can't remember the brand of this one, maybe FM. I like the side charge setup much better then conventional

Did some searching. I think it is a Joe Bob Spartan

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I can see the side charge to be more convenient for a left hand shooter, it can very manipulative trying to rack a conventional AR platform. Especially under any kind of distress. I’m curious if there would be any more retention pulling from the side as opposed to straight back with the bolt.. dunno.. but I have been curious nonetheless.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have not compared one to the other but the side charger is easier to grip for me so it has never crossed my mind

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have not compared one to the other but the side charger is easier to grip for me so it has never crossed my mind

I have an AK and I find that it is easier for me grab that side charging handle than it is to reach over the spine of my AR’s to charge it. Makes sense logically that a side charge would be less hassle. At least for a lefty that is. But again, in school I never got a left handle spiraled pad of paper so my palms were always filled with marks from the metal spiral and traces of lead from the pencil. Make it work I guess.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    For the past few months I've had the gears turning in my head to build a side charging AR10 but the availability of parts/options seems to be rather limited. I'm glad someone posted about this but then again I'm angry that this may give me new ideas and lead to me spending more money :xmad:

NewGlockCity

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Just got an X Products side charging 7.5 pistol and it has done the job for me. Still love the regular CH so why not have both if you’re able. I think it’s nice to be able to maintain site acquisition with the side ch while reloading.

Top Bottom